Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#67098 by metamotion
Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:03 pm
Hello folks:
My ISP is a rural wireless service using the Motorola Canopy system. When I tried the recommended setup with Ooma between the modem and router, the green and yellow LEDs on the Ooma wouldn't light. Dead as a doornail when connected to the modem. Yet they work fine when connected to the router. The Motorola modem uses a special ethernet cable that has a powered adapter going to the outside, so perhaps there is some crossover issue. The adaptor cuts the power on the side that goes in a computer or router, so I'm sure I didn't send power to the Ooma Telo's Internet port. And it's been working fine in my good old WRT-54G for years.
So I tried the connect to router method (Linksys WRT-54G). Powers up fine, all the blue trash can and envelope lights go off, indicating that it sees the network, but not enough to stop the blinking red light; no sign that initial software update was accomplished.
Spent an hour or two on tech support phone. Tried turning on DHCP. Did a whole bunch of port forwarding trying to get past my firewall on the router.
Tried setting the MAC to on from auto as recommended on this board. Still no dice. Getting ready to return the Ooma, but I really don't want to do that. BTW, I'm not using the Linksys software, but a flashed version of Sveasoft Talisman to run my long-distance mesh wireless network that I don't use anymore.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated. In a perfect world, I'd be able to get connected directly to the Canopy using that funky powered Cat 5 connector.
#67171 by ntoy
Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:35 am
Hello,

Looks like your telo is up & running.
Using Ooma with a wireless broadband connection isn't recommended due to inconsistent voice data packets. We typically recommend a wired connection such as dsl, cable, fiber, etc.

Now, with that said, we do have customers that use Ooma with satellite & other wireless broadband connections. At times they experience voice delays, choppy calls, & other call quality issues. However, they are satisfied for the most part & can put up with it.