Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#65890 by hammyj
Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:00 pm
The reason I bought ooma Telo was to tell my phone company good buy. That’s another story but the bottom line is I did get to tell them! After setting the ooma up, which is fairly simple, I had less than expected results. Dropped calls, weird dial tones, no dial tones, some numbers would not work, calling out was a choir, and so on. From my end I tried everything I could think of and I only took the time to call ooma service one time.(shame on me) Since I still had the land line I found myself refusing to be frustrated by using ooma. Finally I decided it was time to throw ooma in the trash or get it working. I called the tech people, was immediately annoyed by the language they spoke but kept my cool and explained my problem. I made several calls, and supposedly talked to advanced tech. What bothered me was they did not do any troubleshooting with me while on the phone, just asked question over and over and wanted the phone #’s I was having problems with. I guess we are conditioned differently from calling computer or printer service where they go “into” your computer and have you check this, click that and so on. After the phone calls and my nerves being frazzled my problems miraculously went away. After I took the time to think about it there is no software, there is no need for my computer so what were they supposed to do to entertain me? Nothing. They listened and after the call they took appropriate corrective action. I am happy now and have a better understanding of what I need to do if / when problems arise. Accept the language (which if difficult), explain in detail what you are experiencing and let them fix the problem. I hope this helps people because as of now my ooma is working just fine. Is it slightly different than a traditional phone line, yes, but after using the service it becomes the “norm” and only a few bucks per month to boot!! FYI... Maybe every other week I dissconnect my modem (cable) and my ooma, than reboot the modem, than ooma. Does it help, I don't know but I have been problem free.
Mike
#65896 by WayneDsr
Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:59 am
Nice honest review Mike.
I've had experience with ooma service and they can be a help if you have enough information to pass on to the second level.
Ooma can test your routes, check your ooma device and do all sorts of things invisibly to you, so you may not realize anything is being done until it's fixed. Getting past the language barrier is the worst part and as I'm sure you know, most first level help lines everywhere are going to the foreign help lines.

I've had ooma since Jan 2009 and I can say it is totally comparable to my landline from AT&T, my wife was skeptical at first, but she uses it every day without the thought of it being anything other than a regular phone. I have had more issues with my AT&T DSL than ooma and when the DSL goes down the cell phone rings instead and we don't miss a call.
Ooma does the best they can, considering they are depending on your internet service to deliver a good quality connection. There are so many things that can happen in between.

Now that things seems to going well, I hope they continue to do so. And by the way, welcome to the ooma forums. Some pretty good people hang out here, you're welcome to join in.

Wayne
#65937 by roadshow
Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:57 pm
Thanks for the honest review hammyj. I have an OOMA Core, Hub & Scout and I am also very happy with the service. My whole family has purchased OOMA's. There were a few carrier problems for some os us, but OOMA has rectified the issues and we all love it. I wish I would have bought it two years ago when they offered a lifetime premier package, but I get by well with the Core features. Excellent product!
#65957 by dschmidt_2000
Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:10 pm
roadshow wrote: I wish I would have bought it two years ago when they offered a lifetime premier package, but I get by well with the Core features. Excellent product!

Whoa! Lifetime premier! I too wish I had gotten in on that.

For me, $10/month for premier is worth it. That's what I'm paying for VOIP through TMobile@Home service (which isn't offered anymore). Free is even better but I came into the game too late. Still have some minor issues (occasional audio delay, can't make/take calls/internet is down but blue light on) but I'm hopeful that things will get ironed out.

My first few months of TMobile@Home VOIP was full of problems too until they ironed out their firmware.
Dave
#65964 by roadshow
Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:58 pm
dschmidt_2000 wrote:Still have some minor issues (occasional audio delay, can't make/take calls/internet is down but blue light on) but I'm hopeful that things will get ironed out.

Is your OOMA behind your router? I had more problems with my OOMA behind my router. Now, I set it up to run before the router and changed the OOMA MAC settings to "Use Built In". I also tweeked the QOS. Is has been almost perfect.
#65977 by dschmidt_2000
Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:35 pm
roadshow wrote:Is your OOMA behind your router? I had more problems with my OOMA behind my router. Now, I set it up to run before the router and changed the OOMA MAC settings to "Use Built In". I also tweeked the QOS. Is has been almost perfect.

Mine has been before the router since day 1. I don't know if the firmware update was the problem, it was overheating, or it was a fluke.

I did change the MAC setting to 'built in' though my modem doesn't lock onto a mac address. I'm also keeping the Hub on it's side - runs much cooler that way. Silly to look at but we use an external answering machine anyways so it doesn't matter that the buttons are not easily used.
We'll see how long it stays up this way.
#65999 by roadshow
Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:14 am
[quote="dschmidt_2000]I'm also keeping the Hub on it's side - runs much cooler that way. Silly to look at but we use an external answering machine anyways so it doesn't matter that the buttons are not easily used.
We'll see how long it stays up this way.[/quote]

Someone suggested using a laptop cooler on the Hub. I hear a lot of people say the Hub runs too hot, but mine doesn't seem to run any warmer then my cable modem does.
#66006 by whistlewicket
Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:35 am
I'm just getting started. The landline porting is on order.

Where is the info on MAC addressing? Also, I presume that, without the premier service, one would use their in-house answering machine? Right now, my Ooma is not powered up but the phone line from the Ooma is connected to the "wall."
#66010 by lbmofo
Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:26 am
whistlewicket wrote:Where is the info on MAC addressing?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8045

whistlewicket wrote:Also, I presume that, without the premier service, one would use their in-house answering machine?

Ooma broadband answer machine would still work, just no call screening with basic/free service.

whistlewicket wrote:Right now, my Ooma is not powered up but the phone line from the Ooma is connected to the "wall."

What do you mean by this? You decided to use your own number before the number port happens (this would be landline integration mode)?