Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#65539 by fshartley
Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:33 am
I have a Verizon Fios combination modem/wireless 4 port router. I am currently using all four LAN ports on the router. Can I connect the Ooma Internet port to the WAN port on the modem/router? I tried this initially but it does not seem to be working. Will I need to free up one of the LAN ports on the modem/router and connect the Ooma there instead?
#65566 by murphy
Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:19 pm
fshartley wrote:I was able to use one of my 4 LAN ports on the modem/router and got the Telo up and running. Is it at all preferable to use port #1 rather than, say port #4?

No, they are all the same.
#65753 by fshartley
Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:01 am
My Ooma Telo is up and running nicely. I have a Verizon modem/4 port wireless router. Previously I had 3 computers and one print server connected to all 4 available LAN ports. I connected the Telo directly to the LAN port where the print server was connected and plugged the print server ethernet cable into the back of the Tel "Home Network" Port. Naturally, the Telo works great but my print server is not recognized anymore. Should I expect this setup to work or do I need to abandon the print server in favor of the Telo?
#65755 by southsound
Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:26 am
fshartley wrote:My Ooma Telo is up and running nicely. I have a Verizon modem/4 port wireless router. Previously I had 3 computers and one print server connected to all 4 available LAN ports. I connected the Telo directly to the LAN port where the print server was connected and plugged the print server ethernet cable into the back of the Tel "Home Network" Port. Naturally, the Telo works great but my print server is not recognized anymore. Should I expect this setup to work or do I need to abandon the print server in favor of the Telo?

No, I would invest in an inexpensive network switch like the Netgear FS108. My integraged DSL modem/router only has one wired port - and I used the FS108 until I outgrew it and replaced it with the FS116 - a 16 port version of the same switch. Many brands are available but I line the Netgear because of the lifetime warranty. Conect up the switch to the router and plug your PC's and or printers into the switch. The link will take you to Newegg where the switch is $40 BEFORE a $10 gift card by mail.
Last edited by southsound on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
#65767 by n8399
Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:38 am
n8399 wrote:Leave HUB/Telo MODEM port connected to router LAN port and transfer ?laptop/PC? CAT5/6 cable from router LAN port to Ooma HOME port. Check this topic to access http://setup.ooma.com from this config http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9430.

Intent of my original post was to get Ooma up and running along with all devices already connected to your router.
My network has both a router with Ooma connected to a LAN port plus a PC connected to Ooma's HOME port and a switch for lower priority devices which run at the same time.
#65769 by fshartley
Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:03 am
Thanks everyone for the tips. Switching the print server ethernet cable back to the router and moving one of the computer cables to the "Home Network" connection on the Telo did the trick. Everything is working great. If I ever need to add anything else I will have to look into a switch as suggested, but for now it's all good. Thanks for the help.