Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#4345 by NVGuy36
Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:00 pm
Is there a way to get to this option if I have the following configuration?

cable modem-->router-->ooma hub

I saw in the instructions how to do it if you have it in front of your router but nothing about it being behind a router. I'm using a D-Link DIR-625 that has VoIP QoS enabled by default. Am I worrying about nothing considering the quality seems fine from what little I've used of the ooma service.

Thanks for any input.
#4346 by lohertz
Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:06 pm
NVGuy36 wrote:Is there a way to get to this option if I have the following configuration?

cable modem-->router-->ooma hub

I saw in the instructions how to do it if you have it in front of your router but nothing about it being behind a router. I'm using a D-Link DIR-625 that has VoIP QoS enabled by default. Am I worrying about nothing considering the quality seems fine from what little I've used of the ooma service.

Thanks for any input.

The way you have it is just fine and many folks have this same setup, me included. I have a DLink modem and DLINK DIR 655 with the ooma behind it all.
#4348 by WayneDsr
Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:45 pm
Linksys router same configuration as you and it works perfectly.

Wayne
#4350 by kradoom
Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:18 pm
I experience packet lost on my internet connection

with the configuration modem->router->ooma

I have a linksys wrt54g-tm router.
#4356 by mthomtech
Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:27 pm
I think you can get to the ooma hub QoS settings by connecting a computer to the "home" port of the hub and going to setup.ooma.com

I have an integrated modem/router and have the ooma hub on one of the modem/router ports. All the other network goes to a separate port.

I was wondering about the same QoS settings. Does the ooma QoS settings make a difference if you don't have anything connected after the hub?

Do I need to set anything on the modem/router QoS settings?

I've got Verizon FiOS with 20 Mbps down / 5 Mbps up. My call quality is good on the ooma end, but those receiving my call report crackling when I talk. I verified that calling my wife from work. I can't repeat the issue at home on cell phones (maybe I just can't tell from the cell phone quality).
#4401 by shugrue
Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:04 pm
I also have been experimenting with the QoS feature of the ooma hub.
I have Comcast with a typical bandwidth of 8000 in and 4000 out.
If I set any values for ooma QoS other than "0" (disable) I get voice quality issues that are unacceptable in either direction.
So I have two questions for customer support (if their monitoring this forum).
-When changing QoS settings in the ooma hub do I need to power cycle the hub after saving?
-If I have good bandwidth do I need to use QoS at all?

I meant three questions.
-I use the ooma hub as my only router this side of the cable modem. Should I be worried or does ooma provide adequate protection for my home network of 4+ computers?

Thanks in advance.
-pat
#4512 by Mojo
Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:53 pm
shugrue wrote:-When changing QoS settings in the ooma hub do I need to power cycle the hub after saving?

No, it should take effect immediately - just make sure you're off the phone when you apply it.
shugrue wrote:-If I have good bandwidth do I need to use QoS at all?

Depends - high bandwidth doesn't always equal great voice quality (although there's a strong correlation between the two). For example, with satellite Internet you might get good bandwidth, but the voice quality suffers due to latency. Also, the need for QoS depends on if you're using bittorrent, file-sharing or other bandwidth intensive applications.

shugrue wrote:I meant three questions.
-I use the ooma hub as my only router this side of the cable modem. Should I be worried or does ooma provide adequate protection for my home network of 4+ computers?

The Hub doesn't claim to be a firewall, but it acts similar to one in many ways - for example, it'll block any incoming connections to your local network that haven't been initiated from your local network.