Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#65120 by fallschurchvirginia
Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:38 pm
I spoke w/2 Ooma reps who said that Ooma wont' work if I have a phone and DSL sharing the same telephone jack (i have one telephone wire coming out of the wall, then I split it -- one goes to my landline phone and one goes to my DSl modem).

Has anyone out there successfully used their Ooma on line with a regular old land line?

Thanks in advance.

(Sure, I could call up Verizon and disconnect my phone service and ask for just dry loop DSL internet -- but I don't want to. Verizon always messes up, and I just know they'll accidentally disconnect both internet and phone!)
#65121 by lbmofo
Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:42 pm
If you can handle a few days of DSL outage, I'd just port your number without taking any action on dry loop DSL.

Once the port is complete, chances are, you'd lose your DSL service too.

This is when you call back and have them turn on your DSL remotely. No need to pay $100+ for a tech to come out.
#65133 by southsound
Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:22 pm
Quite a few of us on the forum have both a landline and DSL with ooma. For a while I had to keep a landline to get some super pricing on my DSL package but now I keep just the basic line because Qwest doesn't have battery backup on their DSL equipment and cell service is splotchy. From your post I take it that you would like to keep a landline for emergency but want to use your ooma system to distribute dialtone over your home wiring. That is possible if done correctly. Some tips follow.

- Keep your DSL signal separate from the ooma dialtone. This can be done using the second pair (probably either yellow/black or orange/white) in your home's wiring. The DSL/voice signal is probably on the first pair using the red/green or blue/white pair.

- Make sure your landline telephones are separated from the DSL signal using either a whole house DSL splitter or a microfilter at each of the landline telephone locations. You may even want to run a direct run from the telco to a DSL splitter (I use a Wilcom splitter for our home. A line runs from it to our DSL modem and another runs to the blue/white pair that supplies the jacks in the home. No additional microfilters are needed.

- If you have a two-line cordless or corded phone system, you can have your landline supply line 1 and your ooma supply line 2. If you have the original hub/scout and have subscribed to Premier, you can even have a third line and use three-line business phones from Staples or Office Depot among other. Note that using the scout with the system will require some additional considerations not covered here. Do not connect the WALL ports of any ooma system to the home wiring without first knowing exactly what you are doing. We can help.

- I like single line multi-handset cordless phones so I have 2 Uniden 1558-5 cordless systems for a total of 10 handsets. 6 on my Telo and another 4 on my landline. I have the phones marked so we don't make long-distance calls with the landline.

- Do not be tempted to use "landline integration" because it is the source of MANY problems. It offers no benefit as far as I can see.

Welcome to the forum and feel free to post a reply with additional questions. We're glad you're here! :cool:
#65170 by fallschurchvirginia
Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:24 am
Thanks Southsound! I will avoid landline integration. Thank you for the tip.

I think rewiring is beyond my capability, which rules out tip 1 in your post. And I'm in an apartment which rules out tip 2. So, if can't do either, does that mean a landline + ooma is out of the question?

BTW, those little filters verizon sent me to put between the phone line and the phone itself--are those teh microfilters you mentioned?

--for everyone else out there w/this problem & verizon -- i did call to see about getting dry loop. but they have a 199 installation fee for dry loop. they also claim just porting over my number will not make my current service dry loop -- a technician actually has to rewire the place for dry loop. so they say. thanks for the tip, though, lbmofo.
#65171 by southsound
Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:44 am
fallschurchvirginia wrote:BTW, those little filters verizon sent me to put between the phone line and the phone itself--are those teh microfilters you mentioned?

Yes. Continue to use them on all of your phones connected to the landline. The DSL modem does not need one, unless one of the filters has two jacks - one marked DSL and one marked VOICE. Some telcos do this so you can have a phone at the same jack as your modem.

And, since you will have two lines, you can still do like we do and have two cordless phone systems - or even a nice two-line cordless with multiple handsets. Make sure you purchase the new DECT 6.0 phones because they have many new features and do not interfere with wifi (wireless networking).
#65206 by fallschurchvirginia
Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:47 pm
so, what do you give my chances of being able to make this work as i won't be able to change any wiring? if you were a betting person, want to take a guess at my odds? :)

also, just curious, why can't ooma work w/phone+dsl? is it that teh landline won't work or that teh ooma won't work or that the internet gets slow?

BTW, i like your idea of a 2 line phone. i tried it a while back, but teh phone was AWFUL! it was a panasonic and everyone sounded like they were a mile away. i'll give the uniden you mentioned a try!
#65230 by tommies
Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:12 pm
What ooma device do you have?
The old Hub (and possilby with a scout combe) is fine with land line integration. However, the new Telo (black) is not.

Ooma (Hub and Telo) works fine with DSL+POST(regular land line.) If you want to distribute ooma dial tone to the house wiring, there is some details needed to be addressed. However, you'll be fine with a multi-hand set cordless phone which plugs directly to the ooma PHONE port.