Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#65083 by deadenzo
Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:31 am
Hi,
I did searching and cannot seem to locate a match for the issue I'm seeing. Just got an OOMA :)

Details: New OOMA Hub + Scout. No number porting currently forward my comcast phone # to OOMA assigned #.
Comcast HSI (currently digital voice) in one integrated modem.
Wireless router

So the current setup is:
Router --> OOMA Hub --> Wireless

I unplugged the phone line from the back of Comcast router and put into WALL jack of OOMA. Can make and receive calls ok. For now, I just have a regular phone connected to OOMA PHONE jack. Scout setup ok upstairs on a phone jack.

The problem is that my Alarm system indicates phone trouble. It is not currently monitored, but I want to clear the error as it beeps frequently indicating an issue. The alarm phone line is spliced with the end of the phone cord that is currently plugged into the back of the OOMA (wall) jack.

So for my questions:
1) Do I need the connection to the WALL jack or should the phone cord be coming out of the PHONE port of the OOMA?

2) Will that allow dial tone to be sent throughout the house so that I wouldn't need a scout to make / receive calls? Still will use scout for voicemail access as the hub is in the basement.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Tom
#65141 by deadenzo
Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:10 pm
So I tried plugging the phone cord that was connected to WALL port into the PHONE port on the back of the hub. Cool now I get to the phone jack, but the scout went red.

So then I tried connecting another phone cord from WALL jack on back of OOMA to a house phone jack. Now the scout is happy too. Is this setup correct? It seems to work for now.

Thanks
#65155 by lbmofo
Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:09 pm
Dialtone comes out of the "phone" port.
HPNA signal, used to talk to the Scout, comes out of the "wall" port.
You can mix the 2 using a duplex splitter and distribute throughout the house.

(I am guessing your comcast box used to distribute the comcast dialtone throughout the house and your house wiring is isolated from the phone company at the NIB).

This way, at any wall jack, either a phone or Scout would work (or use a splitter to plug in both; unless you want Premier feature of 2nd line and such, don't use the "phone" port of the Scout; quality is not as good as Hub's "phone" port).

Since you just need a dialtone to your alarm, feeding this combined signal ought to meet your needs.

For your reading pleasure: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6853
#65172 by lbmofo
Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:16 am
deadenzo wrote:Thanks for the help!

Would I need to use a "duplex splitter" or would it be ok to leave connected as is. The WALL port on hub to wall house phone jack and the PHONE port on hub to house wiring?

Thanks

Yes, feeding "wall" port to a jack and "phone" port to another jack works too.