Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#64813 by utlax18
Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:23 am
lbmofo wrote:After you get the replacement, remember to do standalone, and forward your comcast # to the ooma temp number.

On 2nd thought, nevermind, on replacements, you don't activate via the web, you call into CS so you'd still get your same standalone mode and same number assigned.

Got my replacement Ooma yesterday..hooked it up..all lights are blue. Made a call to my sister and during leaving VM...boom..dropped call. Had my sister in law call and while talking...boom dropped call and went straight to VM while she was calling the Ooma number.

I ma at a total loss and will give until tomorrow and I am returning it back to Wal-Mart....it shouldn't be this much of a hassle. Very discouraging since my neighbor down the street has it and has had no problems. One exception is that he has DSL and I have cable internet.
#64820 by utlax18
Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:20 am
lbmofo wrote:If I were you, before I give up, I'd try a different/new cable modem and see.

Yeah..problem is I have the Comcast integrated cable/voip modem and I am not going to a "generic" cable modem until this is resolved. If I don't have a reliable phone service, than it isn't worth it.

Thanks for the support.
#64900 by utlax18
Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:38 am
lbmofo wrote:https://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9289#p64823

Here are the stats on my Comcast modem...the more I test, the more I think it is a Comcast issue. When I made a call out with Ooma, my Jitter went to 148ms!!!!

I checked my modem stats and here they are. Now, I do have a splitter coming out of the cable jack that feeds one line into my TV and another into my cable router. Could this be causing the issue?

Downstream
Freq/Power: 609.000 MHz -13 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio: 32 dB
Modulation: QAM256
Upstream
Freq/Power: 35.800 MHz 46 dBmV
Channel Type: DOCSIS 2.0 (ATDMA)
Symbol Rate: 5120 kSym/sec
Modulation: QAM64
#64901 by murphy
Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:47 am
Is that splitter rated for 1 GHz and is it bi-directional?
-13 dBmV is near the lower limit for some modems and well beyond the lower limit for other modems.
Connect the modem directly to the incoming cable and rerun the test.
My Comcast signal measures 0 dBmV after going through one splitter of the proper type.

My Motorola SB6120 modem is rated for -15 dBmV to +15 dBmV.
An older Scientific Atlanta modem, that I no longer use, was rated for -10 dBmV to +10 dBmV.
#64903 by lbmofo
Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:55 am
murphy wrote:Connect to the status web page in your cable modem

http://192.168.100.1

Find the downstream and upstream power in dBmV and the Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) and report back.

The downstream signal power should be between -10 and +10 dBmV. (Some say between -15 and +15 but I feel that is pushing your luck)

The SNR should be 35 or more.

The upstream power level should be less than 55 dBmV.

SNR is also looking low.
#64936 by utlax18
Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:27 pm
murphy wrote:Is that splitter rated for 1 GHz and is it bi-directional?
-13 dBmV is near the lower limit for some modems and well beyond the lower limit for other modems.
Connect the modem directly to the incoming cable and rerun the test.
My Comcast signal measures 0 dBmV after going through one splitter of the proper type.

My Motorola SB6120 modem is rated for -15 dBmV to +15 dBmV.
An older Scientific Atlanta modem, that I no longer use, was rated for -10 dBmV to +10 dBmV.

Murph....

We may be on to something here....
The splitter is 1000 Mhz, 120db EMI Isolation 2 way splitter...nothing about bi-directional. I pulled the splitter off and here are my stats from my Comcast Arris modem.

After hooking my cable modem w/o the splitter...my numbers are much better. See below...

Downstream
Freq/Power: 621.000 MHz -9 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio: 33 dB
Modulation: QAM256
Upstream
Freq/Power: 30.800 MHz 44 dBmV
Channel Type: DOCSIS 1.x (TDMA)
Symbol Rate: 2560 kSym/sec
Modulation: QAM16
#64937 by murphy
Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:33 pm
-9 dBmV is low to be coming out of the cable feed.
Mine was -7 and jumped to 0 after they replaced the 25 year old cable from the pole to the house.
It's a hassle but you need a tech to investigate the low signal level.
#64985 by utlax18
Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:58 am
murphy wrote:-9 dBmV is low to be coming out of the cable feed.
Mine was -7 and jumped to 0 after they replaced the 25 year old cable from the pole to the house.
It's a hassle but you need a tech to investigate the low signal level.

Called Comcast and they said -11 was within range and as long as I did not ahave an internet or tv issues they did not see a reason to come out. With that said...my splitter is in my office and I split the coax going to my cable modem so I can also make a run to my tv in my office. You mention a bi-directional splitter...are you referring to an active or powered splitter? THe splitter I have is not powered and is a Regal 5-1000 Mhz 2 way splitter.