Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#64358 by utlax18
Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:21 am
I just got Ooma today and wanted to get the temp number for my area, but Ooma does not have one. So, I selected use my current landline number (which is Comcast voip). I have the Comcast Voip router plugged into my phone jack to get whole house, so my question is, how can I set up Ooma (and use it) until the number gets ported over? Per step 3 it says to connect the phone to Ooma, but where I have Ooma, I have a cordless wireless handset, so no way of plugging it into the back of ooma. Do I plug Ooma into the back of my Comcast modem?

So in a nutshell, I want to know how to set it up with my current Comcast voip, keep the Comcast voip until the number is ported over.

Thanks in advance.
#64360 by lbmofo
Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:32 am
If I am reading you correctly, your comcast box is distributing dialtone throughout the house?

If so, you take the plug coming out of the comcast box that's feeding into the wall, plug that into the "wall" port of your ooma. Then take a phone line and connect one end to the "phone" port of your ooma and the other end to the wall jack that comcast box used to feed back dialtone. This should work.
#64371 by utlax18
Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:13 am
lbmofo wrote:If I am reading you correctly, your comcast box is distributing dialtone throughout the house?

If so, you take the plug coming out of the comcast box that's feeding into the wall, plug that into the "wall" port of your ooma. Then take a phone line and connect one end to the "phone" port of your ooma and the other end to the wall jack that comcast box used to feed back dialtone. This should work.

Yep...that was the issue..Thanks! Anything special I have to do different when my number is ported over?

Thanks again..much appreciated!! :D
#64372 by utlax18
Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:14 am
ntoy wrote:Hello,

Is your telo still plugged into the network?
The log shows that it was in the middle of updating firmware.

I should be OK by now. What does your log show now?

Thanks for the help. This thing is going to be great! Can;t wait to dump Comcast VOIP!
#64377 by lbmofo
Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:18 pm
utlax18 wrote:
lbmofo wrote:If I am reading you correctly, your comcast box is distributing dialtone throughout the house?

Yep...that was the issue..Thanks! Anything special I have to do different when my number is ported over?

Once port is done, just remove the phone line connecting comcast box to ooma wall port and power cycle ooma. If your comcast box is a separate unit from the cable modem, you can remove the box from your setup chain. If you have an integrated voice/cable modem, you can buy your own cable modem to replace that (and save an additional $10 a month).
#64397 by utlax18
Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:22 pm
lbmofo wrote:
utlax18 wrote:

Once port is done, just remove the phone line connecting comcast box to ooma wall port and power cycle ooma. If your comcast box is a separate unit from the cable modem, you can remove the box from your setup chain. If you have an integrated voice/cable modem, you can buy your own cable modem to replace that (and save an additional $10 a month).

lbmofo...

Hey thanks a bunch for he info. Yes, it is an integrated voice/cable modem, so when I get ported over, I will definitely dump this and get a stand alone modem.

Thanks again!
#66552 by golfercurt
Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:25 am
Thanks for the great post - I had the same problem and this fixed my issue.

Is there a way to forward this to Ooma technical support. I spent an hour on the phone with them and they told me to call Comcast or the people who wired my house!

They should be asking what type of modem do you have and service are you replacing to troubleshoot issues. I was prepared to return my Ooma until I decided to spend a little more time and search this forum.

Now everything is working even though I don't quite understand why.

Thansk again.
#66555 by murphy
Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:10 am
First level support for Ooma, and most other companies for that matter, are minimum wage employees who know nothing about what they are supporting. They take key words from your problem description and enter it into a database and then read to you what the database tells them. Many simple problems are solved by this procedure. They do gain a basic familiarity with the product over time. Just go along with the level 1 people until they decide it's time to bump you up to level 2 where the support person has at least seen the product.