Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#4205 by ooma-fan
Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:12 pm
I am new to OOMA, and love OOMA's no monthly fee approach. I have a quick question, why do I need Scout(s) if I am not using intergrated landline?

I was using VOIP services from different VOIP providers when I had cable as my ISP and without regular POTS laneline service. My VOIP Phone output directly went to one of wall Phone Jacks and I got dialtone on whole house.

For those of you are not using intergrated landline/do not have an active landline, did you try to connect Hub PHONE (instead of WALL) port directly to one of wall Phone Jacks, and get dialtone on whole house?

I have an active landline, and do not have the option to try it out until I port my landline to OOMA...
#4207 by murphy
Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:32 pm
It works fine. I do not have an integrated land line. I have two ooma phone lines, from a hub and a scout, feeding the line 1 and line 2 jacks in my wall.
#4215 by caudill22
Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:08 pm
You will be just fine when your POTS line is shut off. Simply plug the "phone" connection from the hub into any of your wall jacks and you will have a live dial tone all through the house. Make sure you disconnect the POTS line first so it is not live on your house wiring.

BTW, just as a side note, you can also plug the "wall" connection from the hub into the phone jack in your house via a line splitter simultaneously with the "phone" connection from the hub if you want to have the option of a live dial tone throughout the house while also having the option of using a scout as well.

To recap, you can plug BOTH the "phone" and "wall" connections from the hub into your existing phone wiring and they will work fine together. This setup will allow you to have the best of both worlds, a live dial tone throughout the house and the ability to plug in a scout in any wall jack for the additional features that only the scout can provide.