Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#63601 by jmoar
Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:24 pm
Hello. I have been using an ooma hub for a year now with great success. My hub is in my basement and we just bought a scout to install in our kitchen so we can begin to use the voice mail features. We did this with the new phones we just purchased. My hub feeds my wall plugs and the only phone in use was the wireless set that plugs into the kitchen outlet. It has been working fine prior to the scout.

Now I installed the scout and added it with the serial number and it won't work. The signal passes through it and the phones work fine, but the bottom row of lights stay red and it wont work. I have no idea where to go. I have reset the basement hub and nothing appears to help. The lights go like this:

Top two turn red then the middle two turn red and then the bottom four turn red and stay on.

I'm sure i'm doing something wrong or have not registered it correctly, but I just need some help. Customer support is not much help.

thanks for anything you can tell me!
#63602 by murphy
Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:35 pm
Did you connect the wall port of the hub to the wall port of the scout?
#63603 by jmoar
Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:37 pm
Not exactly sure what you mean. They are in different rooms. I do have the hub properly feeding the wall outlet and the upstairs outlet does fed into the wall side of the scout if that is what you mean.

I'm sure I don't need to connect them directly. or at least I hope so!
#63605 by murphy
Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:43 pm
Is the wall port of the hub connected to your wall outlet?
If you are feeding dial tone to your wall also you need a splitter so the phone port and the wall port of the hub can be combined and fed to the wall.
#63609 by jmoar
Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:00 pm
"If you are feeding dial tone to your wall also you need a splitter so the phone port and the wall port of the hub can be combined and fed to the wall."

OK, I'm not following this I guess. I am feeding the basement hub into the wall jack of the basement and that is it. I have the scout hub connected to the wall port upstairs and then the "phone" port on the scout to the phone upstairs.

Are you saying that I need to feed the basement hub (both ports) into the wall jack? or both ports of the scout? Either way do I then need another splitter installed for the other phones?

Sorry I seem to be so dumb. I know there is something i'm just missing. It is not logic, but this appears to be a weird set up for sure. THANK you for your patients on this!!
#63610 by lbmofo
Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:08 pm
jmoar wrote:Are you saying that I need to feed the basement hub (both ports) into the wall jack? or both ports of the scout? Either way do I then need another splitter installed for the other phones?

Yes, at the Hub, you need to combine both ports before feeding into the wall jack to distribute dialtone as well as the HPNA signal (that Scout needs to communicate with Hub). At the Scout side, unless you have Premier and want to use the instant second line feature or private device feature, I wouldn't plug a phone into the "phone" port of the Scout. I would use a duplex splitter so that your Scout can get HPNA signal and your phone a dialtone directly from the wall jack.
#63612 by jmoar
Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:12 pm
Ok, I'll give that a try. I guess I can make sense of that logic if that's what it takes. I'm so glad you are patient. This is an "odd" process at best, but hopefully we can make it work.

Thank you. I'll post back later tonight if it works or if I need more help!!!!

jmoar
#63616 by jmoar
Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:40 pm
Scout update: I tied together the "phone" and "Wall" ports from the hub in my basement and plugged them both into the wall outlet in the basement. I came upstairs and the blue light was already on the scout hub.

I unplugged the scout hub and added a splitter to put one signal to the hub and one to the phone directly. The problem now is the line to the phone is dead. If i plug it into the "phone" jack on the scout it works fine. I have replaced the splitter and the phone line and no luck what so ever. so...... Now what??

THanks again
#63619 by lbmofo
Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:53 pm
Where the Scout is at, the house wall jack, if you plug in the scout, scout's tab is blue right?

Then, unplug the Scout and plug in the phone, the phone has dialtone?

Then you have a problem with your splitter.

The splitter shouldn't have any writings on it such as L1, L2, L1+L2

Are you using one of these?

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7755&p=57313

By the way, you need to use one of these duplex splitters on the Hub side as well to combine the "wall" and "phone" port to feed into the wall jack.
#63620 by WayneDsr
Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:22 pm
First of all, test the Scout.
Bring the Scout next to the hub. Connect the WALL port of the HUB directly to the WALL port of the Scout.
Does the Scout connect now with blue light? If not, there is a problem with the Scouts serial number.
I would reboot the Hub and Scout just to make sure (sometimes this works)

Next, if the Scout works reconnect the WALL port of the Hub to the wall jack.
Disconnect the PHONE port of the Hub from the wall jack and connect a phone to the PHONE port of the Hub.
You're doing this to remove the dial tone from the rest of the house.
Bring the Scout back up into the room you want it and connect the WALL port of the Scout to the wall jack of the house.

Does the Scout connect? Blue light?

If Yes:
Now connect the PHONE port of the Hub to the wall jack of the house using the splitter so that the WALL port wire can also plug into the wall jack of the house. Does this turn the Scout red?

IF NO:
A few things I would check. Are you using DSL?
DSL can cause a problem with the signal from the Hub to the Scout.
You may need to connect the Hub to the Scout using line 2.

If not DSL, have you disconnected the main wire at the DMARK (phone company's box usually on the outside of the house) from the outside line? Usually it is just a matter of unplugging a jack in the phone box. Sometimes the main line from the phone company still has some voltage and noise on the line even though it is "disconnected".
Disconnect that plug from the main phone company's line.
Does the Scout go Blue?

That should be enough for now, I hope I've helped.

Wayne