Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#63043 by rshin78
Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:44 pm
Just wondering, whats better?
Currently i have my modem--> router --> telo, comp, wireless
Is this better? modem --> telo --> router --> comp, wireless

My current setup, im worried that my internet will be slow, i am using a dlink dir 655 and have qos engine enabled but i cannot set the uplink and dl speed for the ooma.

The other setup i listed, my biggest problem is the ports i normally had open were closed and dont kno how to open them. My router has the range from 192 etc... but the telo is 172 and such... someone help PLZ
#63047 by dtalwar
Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:12 pm
I have similar setup as yours, Modem -> Router -> Telo and other devices, with QoS being managed by the router. It works fine for me. Are you having any problems with your current setup that you're contemplating going to the alternate?
#63067 by rshin78
Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:58 am
When I had this setup last time, for some reason at times i couldnt make out going calls, i would dial the number but then nothing, the only thing was i didnt check on my router if qos was turned on.. i was just wondering which setup was faster or if they are the same.
#63088 by dtalwar
Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:39 am
I guess it is individual preference --- there are pros and cons of each setup. With Telo between the modem and other devices, it can manage QoS for voice traffic if configured properly. However, with a decent router, you can achieve the same result and let the router do what it does best --- route traffic. You can have more control over your network with 'modem -> router -> Telo and other devices' setup.