ooma and slingbox

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
lucyred62

ooma and slingbox

Post by lucyred62 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:14 am

I hope someone can help me. I have the ooma connected from my cablevision modem to home. Then a cable from home on ooma goes into my Linsys E3000 wireless router. Everything works fine except now I can't access my slingbox remotely. I can access the slingbox while at home, but not remotely. I have tried to port forward on the linksys and the slingbox, but it is not working. Someone said that the slingbox may be interpreting the ooma as a router, along with the linksys, and this could be the problem. http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-005033.html. I am so frustrated, I don't know what else to try. Is there a way to set up the ooma, so that the slingbox will only see my wireless router? Please help.

murphy

Re: ooma and slingbox

Post by murphy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:34 am

Connect your router to the modem and connect the Internet port of the Ooma box to a LAN port of the router.
Leave the Home port of the Ooma box unused.
Configure QOS in the router to give priority to the Ooma box.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

lucyred62

Post by lucyred62 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:10 am

Hi, thanks for the reply. Can you tell me how I can configure Qos on the router. This is new to me. I know how to get into the router settings. Is this in port forwarding? Not really sure how to do this. Also, do I have to reinstall software of ooma once I do this, or once I change the settings on the router it should work. I had tried just putting the lan from the router, and the ooma lost connection to red, and would not work.
Thanks in advance.

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:37 am

Look for the following paragraph heading in your router manual.

Applications and Gaming > QoS

Turn everything off while you are changing the way they are connected together.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx