Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#61168 by southsound
Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:28 am
Let me understand - I believe Windstream is your Internet provider, correct? Then it is perfectly normal for the scout to become a brick when the Internet is down. As I recall, you also have an integrated landline or at least have your hub WALL jack connected to the landline. The hub is designed to offer fallback to your landline when either the network is down or the power goes off. It sounds like your system is working properly if my assumptions are correct.
#61171 by virgusa
Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:46 am
I ported my number from Windstream and am using my phone jacks to distribute dial tone. I have the hub connected from Modem and then to Router. The Scout is plugged into another phone jack in the home and another cordless phone plugged into the Scout.
#61173 by Groundhound
Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:57 am
virgusa wrote:I ported my number from Windstream and am using my phone jacks to distribute dial tone. I have the hub connected from Modem and then to Router. The Scout is plugged into another phone jack in the home and another cordless phone plugged into the Scout.

By what means are the Hub & Scout's wall ports connected to each other? Are you using a splitter to distribute both dialtone from the Hub's phone port and HPNA from the Hub's wall port or do you have the Hub's wall port connected to a separate wire pair in your house wiring?
#61178 by Groundhound
Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:53 am
virgusa wrote:They are connected to separate wire pairs in the house.

To determine if the problem lies with wiring or with the Hub/Scout, temporarily relocate the Scout to the same room as the Hub and connect their wall ports together with a different phone cord. If the Scout works then the problem is with wiring.
#61180 by virgusa
Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:08 pm
Thanks. If I use a splitter and connect the Hub & Scout to the Wall Port on the Hub they both work. I have evidently disconnected the jack from the box outside that I had the Scout plugged into.
#61193 by Groundhound
Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:21 pm
Looks like the phone company lines are still connected on the left side, and I can't tell what (if anything) has been changed on the customer side (right). If your wall port to wall port connections were previously on the second pair (line 2) in your house wiring, and it worked, I'd put everything back the way it was and break the telco connections at their terminal block where the four wires on the left side are connected - making sure to insulate the ends with wire nuts or something similar so they don't short.