Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#71690 by murphy
Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:21 am
sphinx wrote:Ok, I just got off the phone with AT&T and was told that there were no ports available to dry-loop me. Has anyone run into this? They said that if I get the number ported over to Ooma, I'm SOL in terms of getting a dry-loop setup because of a lack of availability of ports.

Any other solutions other than cable internet? I'd prefer to keep DSL.

What about the port they are using now for your DSL? They can use that.
#71691 by sphinx
Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:25 am
murphy wrote:
sphinx wrote:Ok, I just got off the phone with AT&T and was told that there were no ports available to dry-loop me. Has anyone run into this? They said that if I get the number ported over to Ooma, I'm SOL in terms of getting a dry-loop setup because of a lack of availability of ports.

Any other solutions other than cable internet? I'd prefer to keep DSL.

What about the port they are using now for your DSL? They can use that.

Yea, I don't know. I asked her that. She said that they maintain a list of folks who are waiting for open ports and that I would be informed when it is my turn. So, she claimed that if I gave up my port when I ported the number, someone else might get that port. Of course, that makes no sense to me - does that mean that my house wouldn't even be able to get phone service?
#71697 by murphy
Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:49 am
Check their pricing.
I have seen people on this forum state that a DSL line with a number was cheaper than a DSL line without a number.
Makes no sense to me but then most of what the phone company does makes no sense to me.

If they have a list of people waiting for service they are seriously deficient in central office equipment.
#71753 by jblock312
Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:03 am
Over a month ago, AT&T told me DSL was not available, even though I had shared DSL and POTS. Could I get a second phone line and port my phone # to that? No.
A helpful and intelligent (!) CSR understood what I was trying to accomplish. She said my request would be "escalated," and she would call back. Never heard anything.
Last week, on the day I was going to return the Telo to the store, I checked AT&T website, and suddenly dry-loop was available! (Just for my address - not my neighbors!) I ordered it online.
A separate dry-loop was installed quickly without a hitch. I canceled the old DSL service, and that happened in a few days.
Now my number should be ready to port. Why they can't just assign a different account number to your existing DSL service is beyond me.
OOma says they have resubmitted my porting request and are waiting to hear from AT&T.
Past the 6 week mark from the port request and still waiting.
Ooma seems pretty responsive to questions. For a communications company, AT&T is very uncommunicative. They work in mysterious ways, their wonders to perform.