Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#60745 by KTT
Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:55 pm
I just installed an Ooma Hub unit to replace my Sipura SPA-3000 VOIP (subscribed to BroadVoice for ~$15/month) in hopes of saving some money.

Original Sipura SPA-3000 VOIP configuration:
* Incoming call on landline rings on phone
* Incoming call on VOIP line rings on phone
* Outgoing calls defaults on VOIP
* Outgoing calls prefixed with #9 goes through landline

Essentially, I would like to use Ooma the same way. I chose not to integrate my Ooma with landline mainly because I am on AT&T measured local rate ($18/month after all fees), and all calls outgoing on my landline costs up to $25 cents/min. I would not want Ooma to call out on the landline unless I initiate them and know about it.

Can Ooma be configured to do the above? Essentially, use my landline for 911 or forced landline calls (for 800 numbers to credit card companies which require calls from my landline number) and receive calls, while receiving and initiating calls on Ooma by default.

From my searches of this forum, this does not seem to be doable, though it should be technically possible.

Thanks in advance.
#60763 by Groundhound
Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:04 am
Currently Ooma can't operate the way you described without landline integration, and as you mentioned your metered outbound landline calls make integration not a good option (integration is never a good option IMHO). For your situation the landline would need to be completely separate on its own phone. Having said that though, the two features you wanted your landline for are both supported by Ooma, e911 and outbound DTMF, So unless your Ooma service is not operating correctly, keeping your landline seems to just be for redundancy purposes. Anyone using VoIP should have an alternate calling method, and if you don't have a cell phone there may be prepaid cell plans that would serve as backup.
#60798 by KTT
Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:45 pm
Thank you Groundhound.

It would be nice to get rid of my landline completely. Some factors preventing this are:
* e911 reliability: As I understand it, a 3rd party handles calls, then calls the authorities.
* Cell phone 911 doesn't know your location immediately like landline
* Marginal cell reception

If I do keep the landline, would Ooma with landline integration do the proper line selections outlined in the original message? Also:
* Can Ooma be configured (via customer service call) to always use VOIP for outgoing
* Can Ooma take incoming landline calls and rings phone

I understand that Ooma no longer routes external (other users') calls through my landline, and adding services to my landline, which were my main concerns with landline integration. What other downsides of landline integration have I missed?
#60801 by bw1
Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:59 pm
An e911 call through Ooma should go directly to your local call center and provide them with the address info that's on your Account->Service Address page in my.ooma

Here are some others' experiences:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6052
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8670
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=615

A call to 911 on a cell phone may be different.

You can not configure how a call is placed with landline integration. All local and 911 calls will go out over your landline and all long distance calls will go through Ooma.

Also, you give up much of the included functionality like caller id and call waiting from Ooma.

If you want to keep a landline, you should do as Groundhound suggested and keep a separate phone connected to it.
#60826 by Groundhound
Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:09 pm
I can confirm through personal experience that 911 calls with Ooma go directly to the 911 call center for the address you have on file with Ooma, it is enhanced 911 that transmits your street address automatically. You can call the non-emergency phone number for your area and request permission to call 911 as a test if it is not a very busy time for them; they should be able to confirm your correct address for the test call.
#60835 by KTT
Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:53 am
I'm glad e911 is doing the right thing. I'll definitely try the test 911 route suggested. Ooma's current local calls out on landline policy is definitely a deal breaker for me on the landline integration issue. The only decision now is whether to keep my landline at all (connected on a separate phone).

Thank you all for your help.