Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#60142 by yonas.tesema
Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:43 pm
I have a dilemma about my OOMA and My alarm system. My landline provider is AT&T. My ooma is connected and I was able to make calls out and recieve a call as well. However, I do not have features such as Caller ID, Call on Wait and others as advertised by OOMA. The reason I was told by OOMA Customer Support is I need to port my number to OOMA that I will have all features they promised. So here is my dilemma. I have an alarm that works with the land line. Ooma can take care of my alarm (or at least they can not guarantee it works with OOMA) according to their Level I and Level II support Engineers. To take care of my alarm, I pay minimum to AT&T Paying for their dial tone to support my Alarm. I need to atleast have some of the features (Caller ID and call on Wait, and if possible call forwarding to my Mobile in case my DSL service is down. My dsl provider is dslextreme.com and they are using AT&T land line. How can I get the above mentioned features with my current configuration which is integrated with the land line. BTW i MUST keep my original land line number also. Please help because I was not convinced with the answers provided by OOMA Engineers.

Best regads,
#60181 by dafish
Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:44 am
I am with Next Alarm and purchased their ABN adapter to monitor the system over the internet. The system is independent of any phone service and hooks up to your router. You should contact your alarm company and see if they have this type of option available.

You could then port your number to OOMA and have a dry loop for your DSL.
#60303 by bmccollum
Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:12 am
One thing you may want to check is calling your current alarm monitoring service to see if they'll switch you over to cellular-based monitoring. We did this w/our long-standing alarm monitoring company about 2 weeks ago and got everything switched over at absolutely no charge to us. The cellular monitoring device that they installed that connects to our existing alarm panel is normally about $325, but they waived the up-front costs for us as long as we agreed to continue with their service for another year.

Additionally, our monthly monitoring costs remained exactly the same for the cellular-based monitoring vs. traditional land line-based monitoring.

Good luck!