Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#59777 by detroy
Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:54 am
First, we're changing out all our phones in our house. Our existing (cable) home phone will be ported by the end of the week to a cell phone. For now it comes in on an Arris TM602G modem with the cable tv and internet. I received an OOMA Hub Saturday and tried to hook it up into the existing setup, putting it between the modem and Linksys router. I restarted everything but repeatedly could not get internet. Would this have anything to do with having an existing phone signal coming in from the modem? I won't need the OOMA for a week or two but I want to see if it works properly in case I need to return it.

I didn't try putting it after the router (modem->router->Hub) as all the plugs are filled in the router. If I wanted to, could I put the Hub into the router and something else (like the TiVo) into the Hub?
#59786 by Groundhound
Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:14 pm
detroy wrote:First, we're changing out all our phones in our house. Our existing (cable) home phone will be ported by the end of the week to a cell phone. For now it comes in on an Arris TM602G modem with the cable tv and internet. I received an OOMA Hub Saturday and tried to hook it up into the existing setup, putting it between the modem and Linksys router. I restarted everything but repeatedly could not get internet. Would this have anything to do with having an existing phone signal coming in from the modem? I won't need the OOMA for a week or two but I want to see if it works properly in case I need to return it.

I didn't try putting it after the router (modem->router->Hub) as all the plugs are filled in the router. If I wanted to, could I put the Hub into the router and something else (like the TiVo) into the Hub?

Your Arris probably has a battery backup, and simply power cycling it may not cause it to recognize the Ooma Hub. There should be a small reset button on the back of the modem, give that a try instead of power cycling. First though, from a computer connected to the Ooma Hub, go to http://setup.ooma.com and then to the Network page. Change "Network Connection" to Dynamic(DHCP) and also change "MODEM Port MAC Address" to "Use Built in" and click Update and then power the Hub off. Reset your modem using the reset button, then power up your Hub.
#59973 by detroy
Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:48 am
Thanks! I hooked it all up and did as you said (twice), it still didn't work. So I swapped out one of the cables that came with it and sure enough, that did it. Bad cable. I'm very glad to know it works.