Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#59708 by janner
Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:30 am
Hello all!
I received and connected my Telo on Friday. I currently only have one telephone connected to the phone jack on the back of the Telo box. I have a cable connection through Road Runner.

I decided NOT to port my old phone number and just took a new one from Ooma. Tomorrow, I will be canceling my phone service with Bell South/AT&T. Once I am sure that has been terminated, I would like to disconnect the wires in the outside telephone Network Interface box, so that I can plug my Telo right into an existing phone jack and then distribute the dial tone to all the existing jacks (7) in our house, not that I will have a phone connected to every jack.

I have read some of the posts on the forum as to how to do this, but as I am a total newbie re: phones, Ooma and electric wires, I just want to make sure I will do everything correctly.

Here's a close up shot of my NI box (I cropped out the rest of it because there are no wires or connections on the other side):

QUESTION 1:

Am I correct that I need to:
(1) Unplug the modular plug
(2) Unscrew the top screws and disconnect those wires and wrap them (greens)
(3) Unscrew the bottom screws and disconnect and wrap those wires as well (reds)

Since there are no other wires I have access to (although there is a gaggle of wires of all colors behind those screws that I have no access to), am I correct that there is nothing else for me to do except post a note that I have modified the box and close it up?

Shot of wires exiting box and going into the house:

QUESTION 2:

I note that, although I only have one telephone wire and one thick black wire coming into the box, that there are 4 separate wires exiting the box. The thickest wire is the one with the modular plug on the end of it and that enters the house through a separate hole. But what are the other three telephone wires which are bundled together and enter into the house in a different hole? Could they be left over from an earlier time? Do I need to be concerned about them, do anything about them? If so, what?

QUESTION 3:

Once I have everything disconnected that I need to disconnect, am I correct that I leave the phone line plugged into the "Phone" port on the back of the Telo and run the other end of that phone line into the nearest wall jack?
Or do I use the port labelled "Wall" in the back of the Telo?
If I understand the directions on the Ooma website correctly, I leave it plugged into the "Phone" port, that the "Wall" port is only to be used if you are integrating with your landline, which I am not. Is that right?

QUESTION 4:

One of the reasons I want to make the Ooma service available on all my existing phone jacks is because I have Direct TV and like ET, it needs to phone home every night to report what we've been watching. I had read forum posts that people weren't able to retrieve their answering machine messages because VOIP doesn't transmit the push button tones very well. Will the Direct TV be able to transmit its codes over this Home Distribution setup? If not, what would I have to do for the Direct TV to be able to "phone home" every night?

Thanks for your help!
Jan
#59719 by southsound
Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:04 pm
janner wrote:Hello all!
I received and connected my Telo on Friday. I currently only have one telephone connected to the phone jack on the back of the Telo box. I have a cable connection through Road Runner.

I decided NOT to port my old phone number and just took a new one from Ooma. Tomorrow, I will be canceling my phone service with Bell South/AT&T. Once I am sure that has been terminated, I would like to disconnect the wires in the outside telephone Network Interface box, so that I can plug my Telo right into an existing phone jack and then distribute the dial tone to all the existing jacks (7) in our house, not that I will have a phone connected to every jack.
Why not? I have a total of 19 phones in our home. Someone once said you can't have too many friends, have too much money, or too may phones.

I have read some of the posts on the forum as to how to do this, but as I am a total newbie re: phones, Ooma and electric wires, I just want to make sure I will do everything correctly.

Here's a close up shot of my NI box (I cropped out the rest of it because there are no wires or connections on the other side):

QUESTION 1:

(1) Unplug the modular plug Yes. And stop there. You do not need to do (2) and (3)
(2) Unscrew the top screws and disconnect those wires and wrap them (greens)
(3) Unscrew the bottom screws and disconnect and wrap those wires as well (reds)

Since there are no other wires I have access to (although there is a gaggle of wires of all colors behind those screws that I have no access to), am I correct that there is nothing else for me to do except post a note that I have modified the box and close it up? Correct - just unplug the plug and post the note about not reconnecting - unless you are currently using an alarm system - see my note in your next question.

Shot of wires exiting box and going into the house:

QUESTION 2:

I note that, although I only have one telephone wire and one thick black wire coming into the box, that there are 4 separate wires exiting the box. The thickest wire is the one with the modular plug on the end of it and that enters the house through a separate hole. But what are the other three telephone wires which are bundled together and enter into the house in a different hole? Could they be left over from an earlier time? Do I need to be concerned about them, do anything about them? If so, what?
OPPS - here is where it gets tricky. Do you curreltly have an alarm system? That thick wire is not the usual one that would be in a NIB with a modular plug on the end. If it really is going from the plug to the cable and then inside, it is most likely the feed to an RJ31 for your alarm system. If you are not using the alarm system with monitoring anymore, then just ignore the following caution and leave it as is.

If you DO still have an active alarm system with monitoring, then your ooma needs to connect to the center terminals of the modular PLUG (male). If that is the case, we can give you some options. Reply back regarding the alarm and I'll continue.

QUESTION 3:

Once I have everything disconnected that I need to disconnect, am I correct that I leave the phone line plugged into the "Phone" port on the back of the Telo and run the other end of that phone line into the nearest wall jack?
Or do I use the port labelled "Wall" in the back of the Telo?
If I understand the directions on the Ooma website correctly, I leave it plugged into the "Phone" port, that the "Wall" port is only to be used if you are integrating with your landline, which I am not. Is that right? Correct. There will be nothing plugged into the WALL jack on the ppma.

QUESTION 4:

One of the reasons I want to make the Ooma service available on all my existing phone jacks is because I have Direct TV and like ET, it needs to phone home every night to report what we've been watching. I had read forum posts that people weren't able to retrieve their answering machine messages because VOIP doesn't transmit the push button tones very well. Will the Direct TV be able to transmit its codes over this Home Distribution setup? If not, what would I have to do for the Direct TV to be able to "phone home" every night?
The DTV box uses a modem to transmit data, not DTMF touchtones. You should add the dialing code *99 pause before what the box dials out. There should be a menu choice on your DTV setup screen - it might say something like dialing prefix or codes to reach an outside line. Also, if there is a way to do it, set the DTV box to use a slower speed like 9600 bps.

Thanks for your help!
You are very welcome. Welcome to ooma and to the forum! :cool:
Jan
#59751 by janner
Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:37 am
Hi Southbound,
Thanks for all the info and the welcome!

I will just unplug the modular jack (once BS disconnects the phone line) and post a note. Am SOOOO glad to hear I don't have to disconnect and wrap those red and green wires!

No, we do not have an alarm system, never did, but possibly a previous owner did. We rely on two 80lb dogs as our alarm system! Best ears in town! So I don't have to worry about that.

And thanks for the confirm that I leave the line plugged into the "phone" jack on the Telo.

I've been reading Direct TV's website and it seems like for some VOIP works, for others not. It seems to be hit or miss. I don't have an HD receiver or DTV or Tivo, just a plain old D-12 receiver box so I don't know if there's a way to change the modem settings. The prevailing advice on the Direct TV forums is that if it doesn't work, then just disconnect that phone line and order your movies on-line instead.

LOL, well I guess you really can't have too many phones! The main reason I won't be connecting phones to every line in the house is because I don't own enough phones!

Thanks for all your help!
Regards,
Jan

P.S. I'll post back and let you know if everything worked, once the land line is disconnected!

P.P.S If it even matters, since we don't have an alarm system, I am not 100% sure that the thicker wire exiting the NIB is actually the one that is clipped into the "jack in the box" (LOL). It's just that that wire that plugs into the jack looks as thick as the biggest wire exiting the box, so I just assumed.... And yes, I know when you assume...

So should I possibly disconnect the red and green wires off the screws, just to be extra safe? Thanks!
Last edited by janner on Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
#59756 by WayneDsr
Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:09 am
As a side note:
I have Direct TV with no DVR, just a Direct TV box and I haven't had it connected to a phone for years. No problems from DTV.

Also, If your phone hasn't been disconnected yet, you may want to go to the box and unplug the cable just to see if you lose phone service to the house. That way you know that cable is the one you need to disconnect.

Wayne
Last edited by WayneDsr on Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
#59758 by focuspuller
Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:30 am
WayneDsr wrote:As a side note:
I have Direct TV with no DVR, just a Direct TV box and I haven't had it connected to a phone for years. No problems from DTV.

Wayne

You will not get firmware updates without a phone or internet connection to the DirecTV Boxes
#59814 by janner
Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:34 am
Hi all,
Just to update - phone company turned off service, I unplugged jack in NIB, plugged Telo into the wall and the dial tone is throughout the house. Whoopie!

Checked my DTV - like I said, it's a bare bones box - no HD, no DVR - and there doesn't appear to be any way (checked the menu settings) to program in those 99 codes and baud rate. Have not yet checked my bill, so I don't know if DTV was able to phone home. Will let you know.

Thanks for all your help! Thank goodness for this forum!
Regards,
Jan
#61177 by eanderson
Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:42 am
I copied the below text out of an earlier thread you were part of. I am having a problem with OOMA working with my alarm. I have dsl, I got a dry loop for my dsl and ported my number on 7/30/10. Basically, I did #1 below. I disconnected the landline phone system by going outside and taking the top phone wire out of its slot. (The ATT DSL dry loop technician showed me what to do). I then connected my OOMA Telo to the wall using the Telo "phone port" and now have all of my house jacks working. The problem is that my alarm says I have a "communication failure". I temporarily disconected the alarm form its jack and plugged a phone there and it works. I then reconnected the alarm but I still get a "communication failure" from my alarm. Please explain how to resolve.

Thanks a lot.
Erik

"janner wrote:Hello all!
QUESTION 1:
(1) Unplug the modular plug Yes. And stop there.
Correct - just unplug the plug and post the note about not reconnecting - unless you are currently using an alarm system - see my note in your next question.

QUESTION 2:
OPPS - here is where it gets tricky. Do you curreltly have an alarm system? That thick wire is not the usual one that would be in a NIB with a modular plug on the end. If it really is going from the plug to the cable and then inside, it is most likely the feed to an RJ31 for your alarm system. If you are not using the alarm system with monitoring anymore, then just ignore the following caution and leave it as is.

If you DO still have an active alarm system with monitoring, then your ooma needs to connect to the center terminals of the modular PLUG (male). If that is the case, we can give you some options. Reply back regarding the alarm and I'll continue.

Thanks for your help!"