Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#58814 by absinthe
Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:22 am
Just received my Ooma yesterday and got it working late last night. As of right now I only have a single corded phone hooked directly to the Ooma, but obviously I want to use it all over the house. So I'm considering options:

As I understand it, I need to visit the phone box outside the house and make sure it's disconnected before I can plug the Ooma into the wall and thereby provide dial tone to all jacks in the house. However, I read a post somewhere on here saying that Call Waiting Caller ID (CWCID) or maybe even just plain Caller ID (CID) didn't work correctly with such a setup. If that's true, then I don't want to go to the trouble of setting things up this way as I really want CID and CWCID to work on all phones.

So I'm considering buying a set of those cordless DECT phones. If I understand correctly, these phones all share a common connection point and so only the primary base station needs to be connected. If I go this route, can I expect feature functionality to work across all the phones? Can anyone recommend a particular model of DECT phone that works well with Ooma?

Again, if the providing-dial-tone-to-all-jacks scenario is more effective and functional, please advise and I'll just keep all my current phones.

Thanks,

-abs
#58816 by bw1
Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:30 am
Did you get a Telo or Hub?

Did you set up with an Integrated landline?

Q: What is an Integrated landline?

A: You selected “I would like to use the Ooma system with my current phone provider” or "I would like to use the Ooma system with my current landline" when you activated. In both cases be certain to plug your landline into the port labeled WALL on the back of the Ooma hub otherwise it will not go into service.

Most of us here recommend not integrating your landline, whether you're just testing the Ooma service and will eventually port your number or even if you want to keep your landline for a backup service. The reason is that all incoming calls and local outgoing and 911 calls will be through your landline service. Only long distance calls will be through the Ooma service. Also, you give up much of the included functionality like caller id and call waiting from Ooma.

Once your Ooma device (Hub or Telo) has been activated, the only way to change from an integrated landline to an Ooma supplied phone number is to call customer service.

Q: I have an integrated landline with Ooma and I'm not getting caller id on my phone. Why?

A: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=194&p=685#p685

Dennis P wrote:ooma is only able to provide caller-id information for calls received on ooma phone numbers. We are unable to provide caller-id information on calls received on a landline (you must subscribe to caller-id from your phone company in that case). If you were to cancel your landline and pick an ooma phone number or port your landline number to ooma, caller-id would then be provided.

Q: How can I get dialtone on all my phone jacks in my house?

A: See here: https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeba ... hone-jacks

More info here: http://mi-telecom.org/distribute.html
#58824 by absinthe
Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:15 am
Sorry, I just assumed everyone was getting the Telo nowadays. That's what I bought. And I did *not* integrate it with the landline. The only functionality I have thus far is a single corded phone plugged directly into the Ooma.

So it sounds like avoiding the phone wiring in the house is advisable in order to make use of functions. So are DECT phones the way to go? Can anyone recommend a good set?
#58828 by bw1
Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:27 am
absinthe wrote:Sorry, I just assumed everyone was getting the Telo nowadays. That's what I bought. And I did *not* integrate it with the landline. The only functionality I have thus far is a single corded phone plugged directly into the Ooma.

So it sounds like avoiding the phone wiring in the house is advisable in order to make use of functions. So are DECT phones the way to go? Can anyone recommend a good set?

Your phones connected to the house wiring will be able to get caller id and call waiting if you distribute dial tone from your Telo through your house wiring, but yes, you have to disconnect the phone box on the outside of the house from your old Telco to prevent possible issues from having voltage on the line. Of course, that can be an issue if you have DSL, since that connection would be required to get your Internet connection to your DSL modem over your house wiring. There are solutions to that, that have been posted.

Also, you do realize that you won't get caller id name (CNAM) without subscribing to Premier after your free trial?
#58830 by absinthe
Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:32 am
Ok, it sounds to me like there is a difference here between

a) "integrating" Ooma with a landline

b) simply using the phone wiring in the house to "distribute" the Ooma dial tone and functionality from the Telo box to the jacks in the house.

I was thinking these were one and the same. But if I can get all the functionality by using the phone jacks, I'll do that. I have cable Internet, not DSL, so that will not be an issue.
#58834 by bw1
Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:42 am
Yep, integrating Ooma with a landline requires you to connect a phone cord from a wall jack in your house to the "Wall" port on the Telo.

Distributing dial tone requires you to connect a phone cord from the "Phone" port on the Telo to a wall jack in your house. And you can use a splitter off the phone port to connect to the wall jack and to a phone next to the Telo.
#58845 by absinthe
Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:19 am
Okay, it's becoming clearer to me now.

I'd love to just wire up to the phone jacks and keep my existing phones. However, it just occurred to me that I do have an alarm system. It came with the house I just bought and its subscription is paid up for a time -- not sure how long, maybe to the end of the year. I'm not sure I even want to keep it, but I'm assuming that if I disconnect the phone system it will not work properly.

Nothing's ever simple ...
#58846 by murphy
Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:26 am
absinthe wrote:Okay, it's becoming clearer to me now.

I'd love to just wire up to the phone jacks and keep my existing phones. However, it just occurred to me that I do have an alarm system. It came with the house I just bought and its subscription is paid up for a time -- not sure how long, maybe to the end of the year. I'm not sure I even want to keep it, but I'm assuming that if I disconnect the phone system it will not work properly.

Nothing's ever simple ...

I keep a bare bones land line for the alarm system. It's the cheapest service available. There is no long distance service and no regional service. The alarm system calls an 800 number so long distance is not needed.