Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.

fax

#57611 by bryreich
Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:31 am
Is it possible to connect to a pc fax/modem? I've had no luck in trying to do so.
#57628 by ibradly
Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:47 am
I've not connected a PC fax-modem to my Telo. I do use my HP Officejet print/scan/fax to send faxes without problems. I simply dial *99, FAX-NUMBER and it goes through.
#58033 by earl pettit
Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:32 am
I have been trying to connect my fax up and because I have a shared line (house phone on one line and the fax on the other) I cannot recieve faxes on auto answer because my voice mail message comes on. Is this becasue of the shared line situation?
#58036 by ibradly
Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:44 am
@earl pettit

Is your fax line a "personal number" as part of Ooma Premier? If so, you might try assigning the fax number a "custom ring pattern." Then, on most fax machines anyways, you can tell it to answer only when it detects the custom ring pattern. This is sometimes referred to as "distinctive ring."
#58650 by rlamond
Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:12 am
I have a Dell Laser MFP 1815 and can't get the fax to work - dialed *99 with several pauses but fax won't go out. I've got all my house jacks connected to Ooma and no separate landline. I've disabled ECM on my fax machine. Did a test with a friend at his fax machine and he said he got a "weak ring" at his end when dialed but nothing came out the other end. My "report" indicates fax went through "OK." Any ideas appreciated. Love Ooma, but have to have fax for home office.
#58694 by DTMF
Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:51 pm
rlamond wrote:I have a Dell Laser MFP 1815 and can't get the fax to work - dialed *99 with several pauses but fax won't go out. I've got all my house jacks connected to Ooma and no separate landline. I've disabled ECM on my fax machine. Did a test with a friend at his fax machine and he said he got a "weak ring" at his end when dialed but nothing came out the other end. My "report" indicates fax went through "OK." Any ideas appreciated. Love Ooma, but have to have fax for home office.

You might try connecting the fax machine directly to the Ooma device to see if the problem is in your home telephone wiring. Mine is connected directly through a splitter and I've never had a problem with sending, as long as I use the *99 prefix.
#58763 by rlamond
Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:05 pm
I will try that when I return from a current trip but I somehow doubt it. MFP is in my home office upstairs well away from the Ooma so I sort of hope it doesn't work after I lug it downstairs to test the "direct" connection! Worked for the past two years just fine with Cox Digital Phone...
Thanks!