Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#57416 by rich65
Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:06 am
When I originally installed my Ooma phone I was using a Netgear WGT624 wireless router. I use this router at home to network 4 computers and a wireless printer. My router started to fail so I switched to a T-Mobile D-Link router TM-G5240. This router works great for just the normal internet but we realized that we were having Ooma issues. If someone calls me we can hear each other. However, if I call someone they can hear me, but I can't hear them. I've messed around with Qos (which are supposed to be automatic with this router) and everything else that I can think of after talking to Ooma support and reading the forum.

Rather than giving up on Ooma, I am giving up on this router! (I HAVE been able to identify that it IS a router issue and not an Ooma issue.) So, if you are using a wireless router that was EASY to set up (I'm tired of playing with Qos and ping and jitter, etc...) could you please let me (and others) know what worked for you? In particular I need something that will also work with a wireless printer.

I've read the posts on here and see a lot mentioned about D-Link DIR-655 but it sounds like a lot of "fussing" needs to be done with it and at this point I'd rather "plug and go!"

One other side note... I DID try setting up my Ooma so it went Modem - Ooma - Router but then my internet won't work. So my plan is to continue with Modem - Router - Ooma.

Thanks!
#57419 by allo
Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:42 am
lbmofo wrote:For your reference, my setup in signature works fine and never required any kind of tweaking.

Customer Since: 3/13/10
Service/Hardware: Core/Hub with 4 Scouts
Premier Expired: 5/14/10 - Awaiting Lifetime Premier
Verizon Port: 3/15/10 - 4/02/10
Internet: Broadstripe 16 Mbps/2 Mbps
Setup: SB5101U -> Hub -> TEW-639GR
Phone: AT&T DECT 6.0 5-Handset SL82518

what brand router is it?

I didn't know you could use that many scouts with one Hub...

"Awaiting Lifetime Premier": I wouldn't hold my breath... I don't think they will ever offer it again!
#57421 by lbmofo
Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:55 am
allo wrote:what brand router is it? TRENDnet TEW-639GR

I didn't know you could use that many scouts with one Hub...Hub handles up to 4.

"Awaiting Lifetime Premier": I wouldn't hold my breath... I don't think they will ever offer it again! Hehe, not holding my breath but still waiting for one of the big wigs on here to offer it privately. Pipe dreams come in many different flavors. :cool:
#57423 by jakeman02
Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:21 am
rich65 wrote:When I originally installed my Ooma phone I was using a Netgear WGT624 wireless router. I use this router at home to network 4 computers and a wireless printer. My router started to fail so I switched to a T-Mobile D-Link router TM-G5240. This router works great for just the normal internet but we realized that we were having Ooma issues. If someone calls me we can hear each other. However, if I call someone they can hear me, but I can't hear them. I've messed around with Qos (which are supposed to be automatic with this router) and everything else that I can think of after talking to Ooma support and reading the forum.

Rather than giving up on Ooma, I am giving up on this router! (I HAVE been able to identify that it IS a router issue and not an Ooma issue.) So, if you are using a wireless router that was EASY to set up (I'm tired of playing with Qos and ping and jitter, etc...) could you please let me (and others) know what worked for you? In particular I need something that will also work with a wireless printer.

I've read the posts on here and see a lot mentioned about D-Link DIR-655 but it sounds like a lot of "fussing" needs to be done with it and at this point I'd rather "plug and go!"

One other side note... I DID try setting up my Ooma so it went Modem - Ooma - Router but then my internet won't work. So my plan is to continue with Modem - Router - Ooma.

Thanks!

I've been using a Linksys WRT54G2 for over a year, also bought a refurb for my bro about 6 months ago. I've been a Ooma customer for around a month using the Telo, no issues whatsoever. Setup was plug and play and I've had no reason to change settings on the router or the Telo. If you don't need a ultimate long rage router I'd recommend it. I was a little skeptical of the internal antenna at first but range hasn't been a issue even taking my laptop next door.
#57438 by tommies
Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:50 pm
rich65 wrote:Rather than giving up on Ooma, I am giving up on this router! (I HAVE been able to identify that it IS a router issue and not an Ooma issue.) So, if you are using a wireless router that was EASY to set up (I'm tired of playing with Qos and ping and jitter, etc...) could you please let me (and others) know what worked for you? In particular I need something that will also work with a wireless printer.

Thanks!

The two basic functions of a router is providing access and protect the user home LAN. On security term, it's always a trade off between how much risk you want to tolerated and how much resource (cost + times + effort to manage) you want to commit. I have seen more than a few ooma-er with hardware base firewall, and have their setup works fine (ooma is behind the router/firewall)

If you want "plug and go", you must not use peer to peer (P2P), since p2p is known as bandwidth hog, and you definitely need QoS to control it. With enough bandwidth, you can just plug and go with any of many routers being mentioned in this thread.

I would read the online user manuals for the candidate routers, and look for the one with features that I need and clear instruction to those needed feature.
#57447 by WayneDsr
Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:15 pm
Routers successfully used with 2 ooma systems at once: (behind the router)
Linksys WRT54g
Linksys WRT310N

Wayne
#57451 by fredpb
Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:39 pm
Check newegg.com

I use a cheap Rosewill modem, about $30. What I like about it is able to load the DD_WRT firmware (check the web on this). Many routers can use this firmware. Some not. Depends on chipset.

I have found this combination works well with the ooma Hub.

I don't use the QoS of the Hub. I set it up in the router. Easy. I enter the MAC address of the Hub into the router screens, hit add, and priority options pop up. Select the priority, hit save, then hit apply. Your set.
#57452 by daet
Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:48 pm
fredpb wrote:I use a cheap Rosewill modem, about $30. What I like about it is able to load the DD_WRT firmware (check the web on this). Many routers can use this firmware. Some not. Depends on chipset.

The Rosewill 802.11g routers can be flashed with dd-wrt, but not the N-routers. And, as you've pointed out, the G-routers are going for under $30 with free shipping at Newegg.