Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#56622 by EXVISOR
Tue May 25, 2010 4:01 pm
I HAVE A PROBLEM THAT EVEN THE TECHS OVER THE PHONE CAN'T HELP WITH. HERE GOES, I SWITCHED FROM CABLE TO DSL DUE TO THE PRICE INCREASE
MY DSL IS FROM ATT AND ITS FAST 6.0 ,IT CAME WITH A GAE WAY MODOM WITH BUILT IN ROUTER, NO MATTER HOW I HOOK IT UP EITHER I CANT MAKE CALLS OR CAN MAKE CALLS BUT CANT ANSWER CALLS
THE ATT TECH THAT CAME OUT TO HOOK UP THE DSL DID NOT KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE OOMA SYSTEM, THE TECH INSTEAD OF LEAVING MY JACK THAT HAD ALL 4 PHONE WIRES (RED-GREEN-YELLOW-BLACK) REPLACED IT WITH A DOUBLE JACK, WHAT HE DID WAS USED THE YELLOW AND BLACK FOR DSL AND GREEN AND RED FOR PHONE, THAT WAS FINE BUT WHEN USING THE SYSTEM WITH MY DEAD PHONE LINE WHICH WORKED FINE BEFORE I SWITCHED , NO ONE WAS ABLE TO HERE ME AND THE CONVOSATION WAS LIKE ONE OF THOSE CELL PHONE CAN YOU HERE ME NOW ON TV SO I CALLED ATT AND THEY AVE ME A BASICK LINE ON THE SAME DSL JACK WHICH AGAIN ONLY HAS THE TWO WIRES GOING TO IT ,NO MATTER HOW I HOOK IT UP IT DOES NOT WORK CORRECTLY ,THE PHONE WILL RING BUT BUT WHEN I PICK UP I GET A DIAL TONE WHILE PHONE STILL RINGS
OR IF I SWITCH THINGS AROUND I CAN ANSWER CALLS BUT CANT MAKE CALLS
HERES WHAT I'M WORKING WITH ,THE GATEWAY MODEM AND ROUTER ARE ONE UNIT, IT HAS A SPECIAL DLS PHONE CORD THAT GOES TO THE BACK OF THE UNIT ,THE REST ARE EITHERNET CONNECTIONS, I TRIED USING A SPLITER FROM THE DSL JACK THATS 2 WIRED WITH OUT THE DLS CONNECTER AS PER THE TECH LINE AND USED A REGULAR SPLITER PLUGING ONE LINE INTO THE MODEM AND THE OTHER INTO THE OOMA WALL CONNECT THEN RAN THE OUT TO MY PHONE AND RAN A EITHERNET FROM THE OMMA MODEM PORT TO THE GATEWAS MODEM WHICH GIVES YOU SEVERAL EITHERNET CONNECTIONS, NON MARKED SPECIAL ,SOMEONE HELP IM GOING CRAZY
#56625 by southsound
Tue May 25, 2010 4:14 pm
OK, first off, welcome to the forum and to ooma.

Second - when a person types in all caps on a forum, it is the same as SHOUTING! Please take the time to use proper capitalization. It makes it easier to read and also makes us want to help you.

Third - OK - here come the questions.

- It seems like you have both a basic landline and DSL service from ATT. Are you going to keep the landline service or is your intention to port (transfer) your existing number to ooma?

- Did you activate your ooma box with a new ooma number or did you choose to "integrate" your landline? If you chose to integrate your landline and have DSL you are in for a world of problems. You can see my opinion on landline integration by reading the signature under my name.

- Are you trying to send ooma dialtone over your entire home using your existing wiring?

After we get your answers I can do a better job of walking you through the steps to making your system work.
Last edited by southsound on Tue May 25, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#56626 by lbmofo
Tue May 25, 2010 4:16 pm
I am guessing you activated your ooma device in landline integration mode? Meaning, you chose to use your landline number to activate? if so, here is what I think you should do:

From the double wall jack: the dsl line should connect to the modem. the voice line should connect to ooma's wall port. No need to use any splitters anywhere as of now.
#56630 by EXVISOR
Tue May 25, 2010 4:43 pm
Sorry about the caps ,i'm just use to it from work
i did not plan on having a dsl land line but the quality was so bad for 9.99 a month i took the land line which is the same as my dsl line so it turned out i was not using my ooma at all and its a shame becasue im disabled now and i had the ooma running find when i had cable with a modem and a seporate router ,once i switched to dsl the problems begain, i was thinking about pluging my modem into there system and if all lightes up run it like i did before less the router, not sure that will work
i did try the other way as suggested by using the dsl line and my land line but again I got a bad buzzing sound or no one could understand or here me, maybe I should try another jack
#56631 by lbmofo
Tue May 25, 2010 4:58 pm
Sorry, thought you were a new customer activating ooma right after you switched from Cable Internet to DSL. Please disregard my ealier post.

BTW, rough workplace you got :)

EXVISOR wrote:Sorry about the caps ,i'm just use to it from work
#56632 by tommies
Tue May 25, 2010 5:00 pm
EXVISOR wrote:i have a problem that even the techs over the phone can't help with. here goes, i switched from cable to dsl due to the price increase
my dsl is from att and its fast 6.0 ,it came with a gae way modom with built in router, no matter how i hook it up either i cant make calls or can make calls but cant answer calls
the att tech that came out to hook up the dsl did not know much about the ooma system, the tech instead of leaving my jack that had all 4 phone wires (red-green-yellow-black) replaced it with a double jack, what he did was used the yellow and black for dsl and green and red for phone, that was fine but when using the system with my dead phone line which worked fine before i switched , no one was able to here me and the convosation was like one of those cell phone can you here me now on tv so i called att and they ave me a basick line on the same dsl jack which again only has the two wires going to it ,no matter how i hook it up it does not work correctly ,the phone will ring but but when i pick up i get a dial tone while phone still rings
or if i switch things around i can answer calls but cant make calls
heres what i'm working with ,the gateway modem and router are one unit, it has a special dls phone cord that goes to the back of the unit ,the rest are eithernet connections, i tried using a spliter from the dsl jack thats 2 wired with out the dls connecter as per the tech line and used a regular spliter pluging one line into the modem and the other into the ooma wall connect then ran the out to my phone and ran a eithernet from the omma modem port to the gatewas modem which gives you several eithernet connections, non marked special ,someone help im going crazy

Before switching to DSL, did you have phone service with the cable company, and did you have a phone cord plugged into the ooma WALL port? I just take a guess here that the answer is a 'no'. If I got it wrong, the following does not apply.
1. Use the DSL phone cord (I have one, and it's green) to connect the DSL jack to the DSL port on the modem/router combo.
2. The WALL port on the ooma should be empty.
3. Connect the ooma MODEM port to the modem/router LAN port with a ethernet cable. On the new telo, the MODEM port will be labeled 'To Internet'. On a DSL modem/router combo, all ethernet ports should be LAN ports.
4. Connect a phone to the ooma PHONE port directly to see if the phone is working. I know you use the house wiring previously, just leave it out for now.
5. If 4. works, now connect ooma PHONE port to the phone jack, and put your phone where it was before. If the phone works in 4. but not here, the problem maybe in the NIB. I go to more detail later if indead it's the case.
#56634 by southsound
Tue May 25, 2010 5:09 pm
EXVISOR wrote:Sorry about the caps ,i'm just use to it from work
i did not plan on having a dsl land line but the quality was so bad for 9.99 a month i took the land line which is the same as my dsl line so it turned out i was not using my ooma at all and its a shame becasue im disabled now and i had the ooma running find when i had cable with a modem and a seporate router ,once i switched to dsl the problems begain, i was thinking about pluging my modem into there system and if all lightes up run it like i did before less the router, not sure that will work
i did try the other way as suggested by using the dsl line and my land line but again I got a bad buzzing sound or no one could understand or here me, maybe I should try another jack

Not a problem about the caps. I have Qwest DSL and keep a landline because it is cheaper than not having one. Basic still gives me a way to make emergency calls if my DSL is down so it is a plus. You mentioned that you are disabled - please consider getting lifeline service from ATT. It is cheaper than regular service and is offered to anyone who has a qualifying disability. I believe you can call in and have them change your account to lifeline service. It won't change your DSL rate but it sure beats paying full price for your voice line.

I'm still not sure if you have your landline integrated - but if you do I recommend calling ooma's technical support and having them change your service to stand alone with an ooma number. You can keep a corded phone attached to your landline for emergencies. Then you have a choice - if you like having the phone jacks in the house live with ooma dialtone (free long distance, etc.) then we can work through finding a clean pair to do that. Or, there are many really cheap but great cordless phones that offer multiple handsets. I use a Uniden 1580-5 five handset model (acually I have two of them) that cost about $80 on sale at Staples. The phone base plugs into the PHONE port on the ooma and gives you 5 handsets to place (and lose) around the home. No wiring required - and they allow you to use more than one handset at a time so when you get a call from the grandkids, you and yours can share the joy of the call on separate phones. They also have a great speakerphone built into each handset.

You should be able to just plug an Ethernet cable from the combination DSL modem/gateway to the Internet port on your ooma. You won't need anything connected to the Home or Home Network port of your ooma unless you are doing massive downloads and need the ooma box to manage Quality of Service. You can do a test of your system by just connecting things as I've described and using any corded or cordless phone connected to the PHONE jack on the ooma. If you have your system set to stand alone (like I've described above) your phone should work great. Then you can decide if you want to go the cordless route or get more involved by sending ooma dialtone over your home phone lines.
#56635 by tommies
Tue May 25, 2010 5:09 pm
EXVISOR wrote: i had the ooma running find when i had cable with a modem and a seporate router ,once i switched to dsl the problems begain,

Another guess here, maybe the problem is the firewall in side the new DSL modem/router combo. What is its brand/model?

If you know how to put the ooma into the router DMZ, try it first. If not, post the brand and model of the modem/router combo, some one might be able to help.
#56636 by EXVISOR
Tue May 25, 2010 5:27 pm
no did not work either way no phone service and the #1 and 2 light stay on as well as the play and fast foward
on the unit it states gateway 2wire