Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#56338 by coldsteel
Sat May 22, 2010 4:34 am
darinf wrote:I am at the hotel now. Their only WiFi access from my room is at the end of a big balcony/patio. So I had to put the router outside on the balcony wall using an extension cord. I put the router running DD-WRT into repeater bridge mode. Then I was able to login to that router via wifi and connect with my laptop inside the room.
Amazingly enough, the Ooma works great for calls from Mexico using this setup.
-Darin

I've got visions of room service taking one look at your setup and then ten minutes later Homeland security is breaking down your door :-) Seriously - this is why I use Magic Jack (and my cell phone) when I travel - it fits on a key chain and it doesn't look like I'm communications central for some kind of cartel.
#56349 by sfhub
Sat May 22, 2010 9:32 am
Davesworld wrote:The round trip time is actually well under 100ms.

Yes that is why I said it is acceptable. I consider 10-30ms great, 30-80 acceptable, 80 and beyond can get iffy because if you are above 80avg, you are likely having some above and below.
#56372 by lbmofo
Sat May 22, 2010 3:00 pm
coldsteel wrote:I've got visions of room service taking one look at your setup and then ten minutes later Homeland security is breaking down your door :-) Seriously - this is why I use Magic Jack (and my cell phone) when I travel - it fits on a key chain and it doesn't look like I'm communications central for some kind of cartel.

Maybe Mexican version of KGB ;)
#56377 by darinf
Sat May 22, 2010 3:43 pm
coldsteel wrote: Seriously - this is why I use Magic Jack (and my cell phone) when I travel - it fits on a key chain and it doesn't look like I'm communications central for some kind of cartel.

I have a Magic Jack too, but the last time I was in Cabo, using a wired internet connection, the call quality was totally unusable. I am not sure why, but that's when I switched to Ooma.

Even back in the US, my Magic Jack was marginal at best since it relies on the computer. If I had anything rendering or processing on my PC, the call quality dropped severely. With Ooma, it works as well as a land line.

-Darin
#56428 by lbmofo
Sun May 23, 2010 1:03 am
Hey, look at what this guy said! :D Magic Jack worked its magic and turned a pleasant sounding gal into Max Headroom!

lbmofo wrote:I know someone with Magic Jack. The quality is really bad a lot of the times. Very dependent on PC; when that goes busy, adios phone call.