Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#55544 by darinf
Fri May 14, 2010 10:31 am
Is there any way to use the Telo in a hotel with WiFi only?

I will have my laptop and the hotel has free WiFi, but what do I need to do to connect the Ooma to the network with a WiFi connection? (I have used the Ooma in a hotel before with a wired connection and MAC address cloning, but with WiFi only, I can't figure out how to do it.)

Is there any way to connect my laptop to the internet via WiFi and then use my laptop ethernet port to connect the Ooma? Is there some kind of router/bridge software I can use on my Windows 7 PC?

Otherwise, I do have a spare router running DD-WRT, but I can't figure out how to make it a bridge using a public WiFi Hotspot.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Darin
#55549 by darinf
Fri May 14, 2010 11:33 am
Thanks for the links.

I was able to configure my DD-WRT router as a wireless repeater bridge at my home as a test with my existing router.

The only thing I am not sure about is that all the instructions assume that wireless security is enabled on the main router and that you know the password.

At the hotels, security is disabled, so I assume I just set the security to "none" or "disabled" on my bridge and that will work. I still need to accept the terms on a computer screen too.

So do I need to accept the terms on my computer and the clone my computer's Mac address on the router? Or does a bridge just pass everything through regardless as if it weren't there? I think that's the case.)

I guess I will have to figure that out when I get there.

-Darin
#55755 by gvkovai
Mon May 17, 2010 9:47 am
Watch out for lower quality when you use WiFi for Ooma. I tried it, but it depends on the connection quality and signal strength and the delay.
#55764 by scoutconnor
Mon May 17, 2010 10:58 am
If you have Win Vista or Win7, you can "share" your wireless connection with your ethernet port. I just did that at a hotel a few weeks back. Go to the wireless adapter under "Network Connections" (or something like that) and right click>properties> and then somewhere there should be a "Share this Connection" tick box.
#56026 by ultradsa
Wed May 19, 2010 10:22 am
ASUS WL-330gE is the small cheap device that will let you do this. Its about the size of a credit card and half an inch thick, it sports more features than most routers.

I've tested it on 3 or 4 networks (friends and family) and it works great each and every time, no delay and has great clarity. :)
#56331 by darinf
Fri May 21, 2010 10:02 pm
I am at the hotel now. Their only WiFi access from my room is at the end of a big balcony/patio. So I had to put the router outside on the balcony wall using an extension cord. I put the router running DD-WRT into repeater bridge mode. Then I was able to login to that router via wifi and connect with my laptop inside the room.

For Ooma, I still needed a wired connection inside the room, so I turned on Internet Connection Sharing in Windows 7 and plugged the Ooma into the ethernet port on my laptop. (I had to disable the "auto-disable" WiFi when a cable is plugged in. The setting was in my bios setup of my HP laptop.)

Amazingly enough, the Ooma works great for calls from Mexico using this setup. From what I understand, that's pretty good considering DD-WRT in wireless repeater bridge mode only gives you 50% of the available bandwidth when connected wirelessly to the router.

Thanks again for all your help.

-Darin
#56333 by darinf
Fri May 21, 2010 10:36 pm
Here's the test results from my hotel in Cabo San Lucas:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.8 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 74.6 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.6

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 1749032 bps
Upload speed: 328400 bps
Download quality of service: 98 %
Upload quality of service: 98 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 134 ms
Average download pause: 16 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 52 ms
Average round trip time to server: 63 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 2000000bps
Route concurrency: 1.1434896
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 10082304bps
#56335 by sfhub
Fri May 21, 2010 11:11 pm
IMO with your jitter, you are going to get sporadic garbled voices and/or static floods, but, given your circumstances, that might be acceptable as long as it doesn't happen too often. Your average round trip times are not great, but acceptable, considering your setup.