Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#55280 by jacque
Tue May 11, 2010 9:37 am
Connecting directly to the Telo via ethernet did not work this time, it just blinks (I did reboot it a couple of times.) I was able to access the Home page while it was blinking though. Here's the data, it just hangs at "Detecting" the Ooma core:

Your ooma Network is Disconnected(1612xxxxxxx)
Internet: Connected
Ooma Core: Detecting...
Phone Line: Disconnected
Ooma Services
Phone Setup: Your phone line is configured for the ooma network
Second Line: Enabled
Voice Mail: Enabled

Device Status - Rev: 1.36111

Network
MODEM: Connected : [192.168.0.199]
HOME: Connected : [172.27.35.1]
Ooma Tunnel: Disconnected
Services
Telephony: 529 - Running
DNS: 568 - Running
Web Server: 524 - Running
VPN: 627 - Running
Free: 209412

Ports

HOME Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:18:61:04:E1:E0
inet addr:172.27.35.1 Bcast:172.27.35.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:313 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:212 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:52641 (51.4 KiB) TX bytes:58209 (56.8 KiB)
Interrupt:55
MODEM Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:18:61:04:E1:E1
inet addr:192.168.0.199 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:36 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:221 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:5170 (5.0 KiB) TX bytes:14344 (14.0 KiB)
Interrupt:53
#55285 by sfhub
Tue May 11, 2010 10:47 am
jacque wrote: Ooma Core: Detecting...
Ooma Tunnel: Disconnected

From the status you provided, there's nothing that points directly to a defective box.

Ooma was unable to establish the VPN tunnel back to Ooma. If it isn't able to do that, it can't do anything else and that is why it is red. That is expected behavior if the tunnel cannot be established. You need to figure out why that is happening. While it is possible some hardware issue is causing the network port to malfunction, the statistics you provided indicate the network port is up and sending/receiving packets, so it is more likely the issue has to do with the packets after they leave the Ooma box, somewhere between it and the Ooma servers.

Are you able to ping the Ooma box while connected to your router. ie can you ping 192.168.0.199?

Can you ping vpn.ooma.com?

It would actually be easier to diagnose the problem if you could get some packet dumps while the unit is red and also during a reboot that stays red. That would involve using a ethernet hub (not switch) and using something like Wireshark to record the packets. I could then tell you exactly why Ooma is not going back to blue, but it would probably be a learning process for you.

I would just try adding the Ooma to the DMZ for now (making sure you get rid of the port forward rule first)
Last edited by sfhub on Tue May 11, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#55287 by jacque
Tue May 11, 2010 11:32 am
I was just on the phone with tech support. They really aren't much use, they don't know what's going on. All they do is lead you through scripts that don't apply to the problem. No help there. I told them I'd go back to the forum and call back later if I need to.

I've rebooted the Ooma six times today (four during the tech support call) and it never does connect, it's in a permanent state of blinking. I am connected to it via ethernet now (I removed the port forward rule and rebooted) but it wouldn't give me an IP so I couldn't get to setup. After the fourth reboot it finally did give an IP and I got stats similar to the ones I posted earlier, where it can't connect to the core. It is in that state now.

I used my desktop computer to ping. I cannot ping 192.168.0.199, I get "Host is down" on all attempts. I can ping vpn.ooma.com successfully, with no packet loss. Tech support checked my connection and said they can see it on their network.

I'll try the DMZ next, I haven't done that yet. I don't have a hub to connect to and the one time I checked out Wireshark it was over my head. But let me see what happens with DMZ. I'll be back...
#55291 by jacque
Tue May 11, 2010 11:42 am
Okay, enabled DMZ in the router and entered the IP 192.168.0.199. Rebooted the router, rebooted the Ooma. Same thing, blinking red. Is there anything I need to do on in Ooma setup? It's still set up for static IP, port forwarding has been removed, it's using the built-in MAC address.

I'm not sure why the first few days it would connect after some tinkering but today it won't connect no matter what I do.
#55292 by murphy
Tue May 11, 2010 12:12 pm
jacque wrote:Okay, enabled DMZ in the router and entered the IP 192.168.0.199. Rebooted the router, rebooted the Ooma. Same thing, blinking red. Is there anything I need to do on in Ooma setup? It's still set up for static IP, port forwarding has been removed, it's using the built-in MAC address.

I'm not sure why the first few days it would connect after some tinkering but today it won't connect no matter what I do.

When you configured for static did you also specify the gateway address and your ISP's DNS servers?
#55295 by sfhub
Tue May 11, 2010 12:22 pm
jacque wrote:I'm not sure why the first few days it would connect after some tinkering but today it won't connect no matter what I do.

Could you cut/paste your current configuration info from the Ooma Setup->Network page?

There's always the remote possibility there is a problem with the servers on Ooma's end, but I wouldn't think that unless other people were having problems rebooting their Oomas today.
Last edited by sfhub on Tue May 11, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#55304 by jacque
Tue May 11, 2010 1:09 pm
When I set it up for static, tech support told me to enter my router's IP as the gateway and DNS. It was working that way yesterday.

I've just moved the ooma back into the closet and plugged it directly into the router. It boots up immediately and works. So it looks all I've put you through was beside the point, it must be something with the ethernet connection in the wall. The problem I have now is that I can't answer the phone without walking across the room, and since my business requires me to be on the phone and the computer at the same time, I can't do that.

I may be back to having to duct tape the cable along the baseboards, but I guess it isn't the Ooma after all. I'm so sorry to have done this to you, you really deserve a medal. I don't think Ooma appreciates what they have with customers like you. I wish I could personally buy you a beer.

Actually, I wish I could just give you a hug. It's hard to tell from the way I spell my name, but it's pronounced "Jackie" and you've been dealing with a woman -- so the hug wouldn't be all that inappropriate. Unless you have a wife who's watching.
#55308 by sfhub
Tue May 11, 2010 1:52 pm
jacque wrote:The problem I have now is that I can't answer the phone without walking across the room, and since my business requires me to be on the phone and the computer at the same time, I can't do that.

Have you considered just getting the Ooma Telo wireless handset and using 2 phones on your desk?

I think if you really want to figure what is the problem, with a process of elimination, you can isolate the problem. Right now I think you can probably make a good guess there is something wrong between the Ooma and the router. That could be some configuration issue, some firewall issue, the router itself (firmware bug, etc.), a bad ethernet port, bad cable from the router to your wall ethernet port, bad wall ethernet port, or bad cable from the wall to your Ooma. You could for example rule out the wall outlet by temporarily running a long ethernet cable from the router to the Ooma on your desk, bypassing the wall outlet.

Not saying this is the problem, but I've seen times where the wires were punched down correctly in the wall outlet and that caused problems with both the data and the ethernet speed autonegotiation. The part that was hard to debug was that some packets would get through, but others wouldn't, so it wasn't that the connection completely failed.

I've also seen sometimes the punch down or crimps in the wall or ethernet cable were not done well and were barely touching. Then when it heated up in the daytime there was slight expansion and parts of the cable were essentially no longer connected. Again, a hard problem to debug because the problem was intermittent.

jacque wrote:I may be back to having to duct tape the cable along the baseboards, but I guess it isn't the Ooma after all. I'm so sorry to have done this to you, you really deserve a medal. I don't think Ooma appreciates what they have with customers like you. I wish I could personally buy you a beer.

Actually, I wish I could just give you a hug. It's hard to tell from the way I spell my name, but it's pronounced "Jackie" and you've been dealing with a woman -- so the hug wouldn't be all that inappropriate. Unless you have a wife who's watching.

Virtual hug and beer would be fine :) Anyway, as long as you can get Ooma working directly connected to the modem, then this is a fixable problem. You will be able to have Ooma work next to your computer. It just takes time and trial and error to figure out which piece is causing the problem. Best to only change 1 or 2 things for each test iteration so it is easier to pinpoint the exact cause. Also it is best not to make any assumptions about what might be broken.

You might as well run a telephone cable along the wall for now and run Ooma in this config for a day or two to be absolutely sure it doesn't go red.
#55314 by jacque
Tue May 11, 2010 3:33 pm
Right, I'm ahead of you. Long phone cord installed, check. Move phone to desk, check. Trip on cord and crash phone off the desk, check. Pick up pieces, dial tone's okay, check.

I'd consider using two phones if I hadn't just gone on a spree and paid a bundle for a new 2-line phone. My old one croaked after 5 years, it's motherboard had a seizure. Had I known...

I have a boatload of phone cord around, and maybe a million yards of cat 5 cable from before we had the walls wired, so when I get tired of tripping on the phone cord, I'll replace it with a long ethernet cable and trip on that instead. ;) It may tell us something. That will be my next step, provided the current configuration doesn't blink out in six hours. I have high hopes that bypassing the wall will help, but I keep telling myself not to get too excited. It's only been a couple of hours after all. But the Telo is still blue. Blue! <manic laughter>

I do want to figure this out eventually. So if you're willing, I'll take small steps.

Like the Terminator, I'll be back.