Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#54972 by tommies
Fri May 07, 2010 4:51 pm
How old is your cable modem? Some of the problem similar to yours are fixed when the cable modem (2+yrs old) is replaced with a new one.

Also, in the router setting, make sure the connection is 'always on', many default to 'on demand'.
#54979 by jacque
Fri May 07, 2010 6:38 pm
Thanks sfhub and tommies. I have a D-Link DIR655 and I found some instructions here by indie_dev for exactly that router, so I followed some of those suggestions last night (after the first disconnect and before today's.) I set the router to give the telo a static IP and set the telo to use its built-in MAC address. I left the connection popdown set to Automatic. I called support and she had me change the popdown to Static IP and fill out the info for that. She said if I was using a static IP on the router I also needed to set it in the telo. (I probably should have set the telo to DHCP last night, maybe that would have worked.) Anyway, so far so good, but it hasn't been very long yet.

I didn't set up the port-forwarding trick that's also in indie_dev's post. Some other day, maybe.

Regarding your VOIP test:
Your quality of service #s aren't too good, but that could be because the somebody is dropping packets to do QoS. My QoS #s are at 99%. Your max TCP delay seems to be much higher than your avg which means the latency is not consistent.

I noticed that and had no explanation for it.

Try turning off QoS in the dlink and rerunning the voip test.

Since my router is supposed to be pretty good at that, I've turned off the telo's QoS instead. Do you think that will do the same thing?

How old is your cable modem? Some of the problem similar to yours are fixed when the cable modem (2+yrs old) is replaced with a new one.

Also, in the router setting, make sure the connection is 'always on', many default to 'on demand'.

The router connection is always on, but the cable modem is three or four years old. I guess the next step is to call Comcast.

Thanks for the help -- fingers crossed. I'm hopeful we've found the problem now.
#55010 by jacque
Sat May 08, 2010 9:03 am
The telo disconnected again after about 4 hours and was blinking red again. I restarted it twice more without success.

One thing that may help: As soon as I connect the telo to my laptop and access its Home page, everything lights up blue and works. I get a dial tone. But the Home page reports the phone line is disconnected, even though it works. I don't have to change any settings in the router or the telo, it just reconnects the moment I reboot it and access its home page. The connection seems to last a few hours until it disconnects again.

I can't leave the laptop connected to it, I need the laptop on my home network. The Home page reports:

Internet: Connected
Ooma Core: Connected
Phone Line: Disconnected

But it isn't. It works, at least for a while. Could this be a bad unit? My phone number is in the process of being ported so I'm sort of desperate. Is there any other info you guys need to help me figure this out?
#55017 by murphy
Sat May 08, 2010 9:51 am
Is your Telo behind your router?
If it is, go into your router setup and make sure that it is set for always on.
The connecting the laptop wake-up sounds like the router is in connect on demand mode.
#55018 by jacque
Sat May 08, 2010 10:06 am
Yes, the telo is behind the router. I can't find anywhere to set whether the router's connection is always on or not. Anyone know about the D-Link DIR655? This sounds like a promising lead.

I did find something called "SIP" which is set to be on. The router guide says this about it: "Allows devices and applications using VoIP to communicate across NAT. Some VoIP applications and devices have the ability to discover NAT devices and work around them. This ALG may interfere with the operation of such devices. If you are having troublel making VoIP calls, try turning this ALG off."

Would this be involved? Should I turn it off?

Edited to add: My router has "always on" options for PPoE, PPTP and L2TP, but doesn't allow me to set that for DHCP which is what I need to use for Comcast. Any suggestions?
#55020 by sfhub
Sat May 08, 2010 10:37 am
jacque wrote:I can't leave the laptop connected to it, I need the laptop on my home network. The Home page reports:

Internet: Connected
Ooma Core: Connected
Phone Line: Disconnected

But it isn't.

So you are saying when it is *red*, it says Internet: Connected?

Phone Line: Disconnected just means you aren't using a landline backup.

So it seems now you have figured out your problem of not being to access the Ooma config pages.

Have you placed your Ooma *in front* of your router, directly connected to the cablemodem to see if you can get more than 4 hours before it going red? I think this is a good diagnostic measure because if the problem still happens, then the router isn't the cause, so you can stop futzing around with the settings and concentrate on whether the problem is with the Internet service, the cable modem, or the Ooma device. If the problem goes away, then you can focus on the router.
#55028 by jacque
Sat May 08, 2010 12:21 pm
So you are saying when it is *red*, it says Internet: Connected?

Sorry, I wasn't clear, when it's binking red nothing is connected. When I attach my laptop, it connects immediately after a reboot and works correctly with all lights blue including the logo. I was finally able to access the home page, yes. It was a stupid misconfiguration on my laptop, my own fault. So that problem is solved.

The problem that remains is that the connection only lasts a few hours, at which point the Telo disconnects. All lights are blue except the log, which blinks red. At that point I have no dial tone. Is the Telo a SIP device?

I haven't tried setting up the Telo between my modem and router because the router is in a utility closet across the room. I guess I could try it just as a test. It can't be a permanent solution but you're probably right that it would tell me something.

Thanks for the info about the disconnected phone line. At least that isn't the issue.
#55033 by sfhub
Sat May 08, 2010 12:57 pm
jacque wrote:The problem that remains is that the connection only lasts a few hours, at which point the Telo disconnects. All lights are blue except the log, which blinks red. At that point I have no dial tone. Is the Telo a SIP device?

When the Ooma device goes red, connect to the Home Port and see what the status says. It might or might not give clues. For example if you can't see the status pages, maybe there is some hardware failure. If the Ooma device says problem with the Internet, probably there is a network issue somewhere.

Ooma uses SIP protocol, but not the way other VOIP devices do it. It creates an OpenVPN tunnel back to Ooma and tunnels the SIP request/responses over that.

I don't think the SIP setting on your router should have any effect on Ooma, but you can try turning it off and to see if makes any difference. The issue with SIP over NAT is the ports get messed up when your chosen port for RTP gets rewritten to some other port by the NAT. However if this was your problem it would happen all the time, not after 4 hours. That's besides the fact that Ooma's SIP should be opaque to your router as it is tunneled over VPN, so the SIP detection in the router shouldn't have any effect on Ooma, either way. You could still have the RTP (actually SRTP in Ooma's case) port # over NAT problem, but again, if that was the case, you wouldn't be able to make phone calls at all. It wouldn't take 4hrs to show up.

My best guess with the information currently available is you have some type of issue breaking the VPN connection back to Ooma. My guess is it has something to do with your router and that is why I'm suggesting you just stick Ooma in front of the router and run it that way for 24hrs to see if you can maintain a stable connection. You don't necessarily even need to have your home phone connected as this is just an experiment. Use your cell phone for a day and use Ooma notifications to account for voicemail to your home phone. It's just temporary.

If you want to get more advanced you can also run wireshark and get packet dumps to see what the traffic looks like when Ooma is blue and compare to when Ooma is red. That will give you a clue what data Ooma is complaining about.

Also, next time you get Ooma to go blue, go to
http://www.whatismyip.com/
and record your WAN IP address.

Then when Ooma goes red, go back to the same address to see if your WAN IP is the same.
#55037 by jacque
Sat May 08, 2010 1:27 pm
We've about reached the limit of my network understanding, but I'll do as you say and move the Telo between the cable modem and the router. Your diagnoses makes sense so I'd expect the Telo to work okay in that configuration. I'll let you know what happens, and thanks so much for the help. My router has some settings to handle VPN, so if the router is the issue then maybe some of those will help. But I'll try your suggestions first. Would I need to reset the Telo before I move it? Right now it's all set up with a static IP using its built-in MAC address. I don't think the MAC should matter but I'm not sure about the static IP.
#55056 by sfhub
Sat May 08, 2010 8:23 pm
I think it would be easiest if you configure Ooma to use
Dynamic (DHCP)
and keep using the built in MAC address.

I'm also assuming your router WAN port is configured for DHCP.

You can probably adjust the QoS setings in Ooma (or turn them off), but it isn't absolutely necessary since this is just a temporary config for testing.

In that case after everything is set up on the Ooma, connect Ooma to the cable modem and your router to Ooma.

Pull the power on all three, then turn on modem, wait 30 seconds, turn on Ooma, wait 30 seconds, turn on router.

If you have port forwards in your router, they won't work in this configuration unless you make another setting in Ooma to make the router the DMZ (in which case it would be better to make your router WAN port use static IP) If you need to do that than we can give you more instructions or you can look it up in Ooma install manual.