Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#54830 by jacque
Wed May 05, 2010 2:19 pm
Got my Ooma yesterday and so far am not too impressed. My router is in a utility closet across the room so I installed with option 2B near my desktop Mac. I could make and receive calls okay but the attached computer dropped off the LAN. It could access the internet but could not see the other computers and they couldn't see it. I saw that my iMac was using the Oomla device as its DHCP router. I tried several things to force it to use my real router without any luck. Then I called support but as soon as I mentioned "Mac" they were clueless. So I asked if I could plug the Telo into a different ethernet port in my router and keep no computer at all connected to it; that way it would get its own IP. They said yes, so I've done that. It connects and I get a dial tone.

I made a test call. The person on the other end says there is a bad lag. They say they said "hello" three times but I only heard one. My responses were so lagged that she kept asking if I was still there. I suspect I need to set the quality of service options but I can't get to that page. Firefox says it doesn't exist. The problem may be that the Oomla isn't connected to a computer any more, but I don't know.

I'm also having internet issues that were nonexistent before, particularly very slow connect times to web pages and timeouts when trying to send email. Is that because the Telo is connected to the router?

Whether you know Macs or not, what I need are the settings to input into the setup web page. I know where on the Mac to enter network info and I know how to configure a router. So my questions are:

1. Is the Telo interfering with the bandwidth on the router?
2. Can I configure the Telo to reduce lag during a phone call?
3. If I need to put the Telo back between the router and my iMac, what network settings do I need to get my computer back on the local LAN?
4. Is it possible to connect to the setup web page when a computer isn't attached to the Telo?

Finally, it's a shame I have to ask Oomla customers this stuff just because tech support hadn't a clue. He kept putting me on hold and looking up the right script to read. He didn't know what account info I needed to resend for my number porting (different story, don't ask) and he didn't know what network settings I needed to use or how to resolve any of these issues. He kept asking me rote questions that I'd already answered.

So far this doesn't seem like a great investment. I did a search in the knowledge base for several variations of keywords on these problems but got no hits. Any ideas how to solve this stuff?
#54837 by tommies
Wed May 05, 2010 5:00 pm
jacque wrote:Got my Ooma yesterday and so far am not too impressed. My router is in a utility closet across the room so I installed with option 2B near my desktop Mac. I could make and receive calls okay but the attached computer dropped off the LAN. It could access the internet but could not see the other computers and they couldn't see it. I saw that my iMac was using the Oomla device as its DHCP router. I tried several things to force it to use my real router without any luck.

Yes, it's on the telo subnet(172.27.35.n), which is different from the router subnet (usually 192.168.n.m) So any pc connect to the telo subnet will be disconnected from the router LAN.
Then I called support but as soon as I mentioned "Mac" they were clueless. So I asked if I could plug the Telo into a different ethernet port in my router and keep no computer at all connected to it; that way it would get its own IP. They said yes, so I've done that. It connects and I get a dial tone.

Ok, this is similar to my setup, modem > router > [pc's + telo] and the telo have nothing connect to its HOME port.
I made a test call. The person on the other end says there is a bad lag. They say they said "hello" three times but I only heard one. My responses were so lagged that she kept asking if I was still there. I suspect I need to set the quality of service options but I can't get to that page. Firefox says it doesn't exist. The problem may be that the Oomla isn't connected to a computer any more, but I don't know.

To access setup.ooma.com, your pc/MAC has to connect to telo HOME port. However, your telo is behind the router and has no pc connected to it, the QoS setting in the telo has no effect.
I'm also having internet issues that were nonexistent before, particularly very slow connect times to web pages and timeouts when trying to send email. Is that because the Telo is connected to the router?

This might cause by the MAC address spoofing in the telo. Temporary connect your iMac to telo HOME port and goto setup.ooma.com or http://172.27.35.1 and then click on Network Settings tab and then change the telo to use its build-in MAC address, and click update. Don't forget to restart the telo and your iMac.

Whether you know Macs or not, what I need are the settings to input into the setup web page. I know where on the Mac to enter network info and I know how to configure a router. So my questions are:

1. Is the Telo interfering with the bandwidth on the router?

see above
2. Can I configure the Telo to reduce lag during a phone call?

no, the QoS in the telo has no effect, you need to do it in the router QoS. You may need to consult your router manual on how to setting up Qos.
3. If I need to put the Telo back between the router and my iMac, what network settings do I need to get my computer back on the local LAN?

No. see above, and not recommended.
4. Is it possible to connect to the setup web page when a computer isn't attached to the Telo?

Yes, there is a trick to achieve what you want, and I currently use it. This only apply when the telo is behind (and protected by) a router. However I see many people using this even they have the telo in front of the router, that is open the telo setup web for the world to see. If you want this trick, I can look up and post the link.
Finally, it's a shame I have to ask Oomla customers this stuff just because tech support hadn't a clue. He kept putting me on hold and looking up the right script to read. He didn't know what account info I needed to resend for my number porting (different story, don't ask) and he didn't know what network settings I needed to use or how to resolve any of these issues. He kept asking me rote questions that I'd already answered.

So far this doesn't seem like a great investment. I did a search in the knowledge base for several variations of keywords on these problems but got no hits. Any ideas how to solve this stuff?

Welcome to ooma and please give it some time, your problem will be solved with the help from many users who is very friendly and helpful.
#54847 by jacque
Wed May 05, 2010 6:48 pm
tommies, thank you so much. I wish tech support had been as precise, it would have saved me some hair. I did as you said and temporarily connected my laptop to the telo. You were right, it was spoofing my desktop Mac's IP. I changed it to use its built-in address. I had to add it to my router's filter list too, then the telo connected. Hopefully that problem is solved. If you could find that link that tells how to connect without a computer on the HOME port, that'd be great. It would make things easier next time.

My d-link router is made to optimize gaming and voip, so it should be set up correctly to minimize lag. But I'll ask over on the d-link forums, maybe they have some ideas.

The rest of your answers made perfect sense. I'm much more hopeful now. Thanks again, you should do tech support!
#54871 by jacque
Thu May 06, 2010 9:56 am
Thanks for the link, I'll take a look.

I had another problem this morning. Last night after changing the telo to use its built-in MAC address, everything was working. When I woke up this morning the telo was blinking red and I had no dial tone (got a busy signal) which I think means it lost its connection to the router. I rebooted it and it's functional again now. What would cause that? Is this something I'm going to have to deal with regularly? I need a dependable phone.

I was reading about the lag issue on the net last night and apparently it's a common issue with all VOIP devices. I did some testing last night and the lag is around 1-2 seconds. Sometimes it's only half a second. My fairly new D-Link router is equipped with QoS in the firmware and is set up correctly to favor VOIP over other packets. Do you all just live with that? I'm not sure I can. This is my first VOIP device so I am not sure what's normal and how much you need to put up with.

I have to decide whether to keep the Ooma in the next day or so. Support has suspended my number port request until I know I can get this to work, and I told them I'd decide pretty soon and let them know.
#54894 by sfhub
Thu May 06, 2010 1:12 pm
jacque wrote:it lost its connection to the router. I rebooted it and it's functional again now. What would cause that? Is this something I'm going to have to deal with regularly? I need a dependable phone.

Properly configured with a dependable Internet connection it should almost never happen. It could be some one-off problem or something periodic. If the latter, then you'll need to figure out the cause of the problem before it'll stop. If we all saw that type of problem all the time, we would all drop Ooma, so clearly it isn't designed to work that way. I certainly have never had that happen to me, so I know Ooma can be configured to work very reliably.

jacque wrote:I was reading about the lag issue on the net last night and apparently it's a common issue with all VOIP devices. I did some testing last night and the lag is around 1-2 seconds. Sometimes it's only half a second.

If you are seeing 1-2 second lags, the latency on your Internet connection is probably too high. You might have other things running and/or the QoS isn't configured properly for Ooma traffic. Usually there is no perceptable (milliseconds as opposed to seconds) lag. I have never seen 1-2 seconds lags in my usage.

Try running the VOIP test here to see what your latency is:
http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html
#54897 by jacque
Thu May 06, 2010 1:55 pm
I ran the speed test twice yesterday and got very odd results. The first time it told me I had terrible latency and the second time it was very good. I'm on Comcast cable. The tests were run about two minutes apart:

VoIP test statistics
--------- Test 1 -----------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.3 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.8 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.4 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.9

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 4998296 bps
Upload speed: 2522816 bps
Download quality of service: 11 %
Upload quality of service: 52 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 491 ms
Average download pause: 4 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 79 ms
Average round trip time to server: 80 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 25600000bps
Route concurrency: 5.1217456
Download TCP forced idle: 75 %
Maximum route speed: 6636448bps

==== Test 2 =========

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.2 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.9 ms
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.2 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 6715696 bps
Upload speed: 2233968 bps
Download quality of service: 91 %
Upload quality of service: 53 %
Maximum TCP delay: 146 ms
Average download pause: 3 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 79 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 24800000bps
Route concurrency: 3.6928413
Download TCP forced idle: 73 %
Maximum route speed: --

===============================

My D-Link router has no way that I can find to fine-tune the QoS. It's just a checkbox that's on or off. It's on and always has been. A test call today didn't show any problems, but I was calling myself from my separate landline. I don't know if that makes a difference.

I'm not sure how to figure out why the connection disappeared. Ever since I reset it 5 hours ago it's been okay.

I don't know what to decide now about Ooma. I really want it to work.
#54900 by jacque
Thu May 06, 2010 2:10 pm
I just ran a third test, none of this makes sense to me. In the summary pane of the web test site, my first test yesterday reported red for QoS, the second test reported green, today's reports yellow:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.8 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.9 ms
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 7526480 bps
Upload speed: 2820376 bps
Download quality of service: 83 %
Upload quality of service: 98 %
Maximum TCP delay: 54 ms
Average download pause: 3 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 78 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 25600000bps
Route concurrency: 3.4013243
Download TCP forced idle: 75 %
Maximum route speed: --
#54968 by jacque
Fri May 07, 2010 2:14 pm
Bumping this up. I decided to go ahead and keep the telo, and have ordered my number port. But now the telo has disconnected from the router again and is blinking red. I've rebooted both the router and the telo twice and it won't connect, it just blinks. The router sees it and thinks it's connected -- it's light is on and it shows the telo as a connected device in the setup page. I was able to make and receive calls today until this happened.

This is the second time I've found the telo disconnected in the last 2 days. Now I can't get it going again. Is this going to be a permanent problem? I've already told Ooma to go ahead with my number port and now I feel really stuck.

What is the telo missing that it disconnects from a perfectly good connection?
#54971 by sfhub
Fri May 07, 2010 4:16 pm
jacque wrote:This is the second time I've found the telo disconnected in the last 2 days. Now I can't get it going again. Is this going to be a permanent problem? I've already told Ooma to go ahead with my number port and now I feel really stuck.

What is the telo missing that it disconnects from a perfectly good connection?

Based on your #s, I don't know if I would say you have a perfectly good connection between Ooma and the Ooma servers, although I don't think that would cause Ooma to go red and not come back even after reboot.

That seems like some type of more immediate problem. When it goes red, what does the Ooma status page say? Also can you ping your Ooma device from both the Internet side and the Home side?

Regarding your VOIP test:
Your quality of service #s aren't too good, but that could be because the somebody is dropping packets to do QoS. My QoS #s are at 99%. Your max TCP delay seems to be much higher than your avg which means the latency is not consistent.

Try turning off QoS in the dlink and rerunning the voip test.

You can also try running http://www.pingplotter.com overnight and see if there are any outages corresponding with your Ooma going red.

You can also ask Ooma support to check your log files to see if there is anything in there that gives a clue why your Ooma is going red.