Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#16872 by niknak
Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:12 am
right, you'll need to get ooma a compy of the bill and the letter of authorization that they will send you
should not be a big deal if you away when the port occurs
you might have to reboot the hub once you return

just thought of something...there are issues involved if you have DSL service and phone on the same line, in order to port your number in that case special precautions are involved
#16875 by DrewAZ
Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:21 am
niknak wrote:right, you'll need to get ooma a compy of the bill and the letter of authorization that they will send you
should not be a big deal if you away when the port occurs
you might have to reboot the hub once you return

just thought of something...there are issues involved if you have DSL service and phone on the same line, in order to port your number in that case special precautions are involved

I read about DSL. I have Cox cable. Shouldn't be a problem.

Drew
#17199 by bw1
Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:36 am
marcd wrote:Here's my porting horror story...

I tried to port my number on May 2nd. I was told everything was fine and it would happen the next week. It's now 3 1/2 months later and I have called them every 2 weeks, they're response has always been everything's fine, it'll happen next week. Until last week, I've always been told no supervisors were available to talk to me and they couldn't connect me with customer service to cancel my account.

Last week I found a new number, tried to cancel my account, and finally got a supervisor who blamed it all on me. As I'm packing up OOMA to return it, I get a call back saying it really was their fault and, of course, my number will ported in a couple of days. Guess what, it wasn't! Even if it gets ported, I paid $40 in May and have been paying for 2 phone services and my premium service has almost elapsed.

OOMA has taken a great idea and ruined it by the worst customer service experience I have ever had. I'm returning it next week and switching back to Vonage. If you're thinking of porting your number don't think it'll go smoothly.

I can understand your frustration. I think Ooma support is getting overwhelmed with the level of porting and installation issues because it's selling so well. Plus, I think that these off-shore support operations (for any company) don't want to pass issues back to support here to prevent the impression of incompetence to the parent company. However, that's no excuse. I'm reading a lot of customer service issues and Ooma needs to get a better handle on this or they're going to lose a lot of customers and sales.

I'm assuming you're porting from Vonage. If so, don't you think that Vonage is doing everything they can to prevent the port? After all, they're losing a customer and based on your response of switching back to Vonage, perhaps their tactics are working.

I suggest you search for topics here about porting from Vonage, I've read a lot that have had issues.

A couple of things that come to mind -
Do you have a balance on your account?
Do you have a calling feature (like call forwarding) on your number?

You may want to start a new topic about your issues, so that others can provide suggestions also or an Ooma moderator may be more likely to see your post.