Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#14415 by bw1
Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:44 pm
davidvanb wrote:Just hooked up my new Ooma. Everything went smoothly and the call quality is great. My only "problem" involves confusion about Ooma's ability to port my number. According to the Port Number Availability checker my number is not currently able to be ported. What is required to make my number portable to Ooma?

I am currently getting Voip service from my cable company, Service Electric Cable TV of Sunbury, PA if that makes a difference. They were able to port the number from Verizon 2 years ago.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

There have been cases where customers have contacted support directly by phone and Ooma has been able to find a way to allow a number to be ported which was listed as not portable.

I think it depends on the CLEC that "owns" the number.
#14436 by niknak
Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:03 am
Basically it means that ooma's telephone partner does not have a presence in the rate center for your exchange
#16834 by marcd
Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:35 am
Here's my porting horror story...

I tried to port my number on May 2nd. I was told everything was fine and it would happen the next week. It's now 3 1/2 months later and I have called them every 2 weeks, they're response has always been everything's fine, it'll happen next week. Until last week, I've always been told no supervisors were available to talk to me and they couldn't connect me with customer service to cancel my account.

Last week I found a new number, tried to cancel my account, and finally got a supervisor who blamed it all on me. As I'm packing up OOMA to return it, I get a call back saying it really was their fault and, of course, my number will ported in a couple of days. Guess what, it wasn't! Even if it gets ported, I paid $40 in May and have been paying for 2 phone services and my premium service has almost elapsed.

OOMA has taken a great idea and ruined it by the worst customer service experience I have ever had. I'm returning it next week and switching back to Vonage. If you're thinking of porting your number don't think it'll go smoothly.
#16851 by DrewAZ
Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:19 am
Questons re: porting

I would like to initiate the process but will likely be out of the country when it is completed. Would this likely be a problem? Should I wait until I am back home to start the process?

After the number is ported, does the process involve terminating service with the prior company. I would like to say adios to Qwest ASAP.

Thanks!
Last edited by DrewAZ on Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
#16856 by marcd
Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:34 am
You can't terminate with your current phone company until the number is ported or you lose your phone #. One of the many reasons the 3 1/2 month porting screw up has been so frustrating. It can go smoothly and quickly, but it hasn't for me, and it's been impossible to find anyone at OOMA willing to take any responsibility or even get answers.

For instance, customer service, technical support, and the porting dept are incapable (or so they've said every 2 weeks for 3 1/2 months) of talking to each other over the phone. They can only communicate by email (probably because they're contracted out in several 3rd world countries). So to get an answer requires someone at the company to email someone else at the company and then get back to you. Rarely does that happen without the process breaking down, and even when it does, it's a 24 hour process.
#16861 by DrewAZ
Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:44 am
marcd wrote:You can't terminate with your current phone company until the number is ported or you lose your phone #. One of the many reasons the 3 1/2 month porting screw up has been so frustrating. It can go smoothly and quickly, but it hasn't for me, and it's been impossible to find anyone at OOMA willing to take any responsibility or even get answers.

For instance, customer service, technical support, and the porting dept are incapable (or so they've said every 2 weeks for 3 1/2 months) of talking to each other over the phone. They can only communicate by email (probably because they're contracted out in several 3rd world countries). So to get an answer requires someone at the company to email someone else at the company and then get back to you. Rarely does that happen without the process breaking down, and even when it does, it's a 24 hour process.

Sorry for your frustration.

My question though is whether the Qwest service will automatically be terminated after the number is ported, or will I need to do that on my own.

Also, wondering if there is anything I need to do after the number is ported. I won't be around at that time.

Thanks and good luck.
#16863 by marcd
Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:51 am
No you have to terminate the Qwest service on your own, and there shouldn't be anything else you have to do after it's ported, IF everything goes smoothly.
#16867 by DrewAZ
Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:57 am
marcd wrote:No you have to terminate the Qwest service on your own, and there shouldn't be anything else you have to do after it's ported, IF everything goes smoothly.

Thanks. I hope you get your problem resolved!

Drew
#16869 by niknak
Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:05 am
marcd wrote:No you have to terminate the Qwest service on your own, and there shouldn't be anything else you have to do after it's ported, IF everything goes smoothly.

You don't have to do anything for the company that is losing the number, the port request effectively cancels the account.

of course unless you had a contract of some kind with the old company and need to settle any balance due on your account, but in that case they would not allow a port to occur unless all charges have been paid

all i had to do to port my number from verizon was send ooma a copy of my verizon bill, they handled everything, and i never had to speak to verizon, nor did i get any communication from them once the port was complete, in fact they sent me a refund on my last month's bill with them
#16871 by DrewAZ
Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:09 am
niknak wrote:

You don't have to do anything for the company that is losing the number, the port request effectively cancels the account.

of course unless you had a contract of some kind with the old company and need to settle any balance due on your account, but in that case they would not allow a port to occur unless all charges have been paid

all i had to do to port my number from verizon was send ooma a copy of my verizon bill, they handled everything, and i never had to speak to verizon, nor did i get any communication from them once the port was complete, in fact they sent me a refund on my last month's bill with them

Thank you. That is what I was hoping for. Now I just need to locate my last Qwest bill.

Drew