Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#52516 by Leeway
Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:21 pm
koongo wrote:All I know is I have conflicting info from two Ooma techs and another opinion from this forum. I don't have a clue about what to do now.

Koongo

Murphy will not steer you wrong. Murphy is one of the most helpful people you will find on this site. If 'I' had to listen to conflicting information, it would be Murphy's advice I would choose.

Donna
#52518 by tommies
Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:58 pm
Look into your ooma setup page, Network tab:
Screenshot-Ooma.png
Screenshot-Ooma.png (38.55 KiB) Viewed 4864 times

There are two (2) MAC addresses on the ooma, one is on the HOME port, and one is on the MODEM port(labeled To Internet)
The HOME port MAC is printed on the label at the bottom of the Telo and is used for Activation your Telo. You need to double check this.( fyi: checking the last 6 digits on MAC displayed on ooma setup/Network pag vs. the first 6 digits printed on the label (ignoring the last printed digit, it's a some sort of checksum to verify that one is enter the correct number during actiovation process.)

If you reading the HOME port MAC (the bottom one in the image) for the CS rep. then the tech rep is right; there is a mix-up.

However, if you read the MODEM port MAC (the top one in the image) for the CS rep. you are in deeper trouble.

PS.
Notice that the MODEM MAC is one up from the HOME MAC.
#52521 by koongo
Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:24 pm
All I know is I answered the customer service reps questions about the MAC address. Whether right or wrong the rep wrote a ticket for the company to change my MAC address at their end so that will either fix it or give my device even more hurt. They said it would take 24 to 48 more hours so then we will know.

I can't believe ordinary people ever get this thing to work.

Koongo
#52542 by Sherri
Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:46 am
Hi Koongo,
I had a similar problem with continual installation process never completing. Customer service confirmed all my plugs and cords were in the correct places. Then confirmed my selection of a new number, not integrated with land line. Then asked for and explained both MAC addresses. Really walked through everything to conclude that I have a firewall on my router. I had never heard of that and he explained that it is different from the firewalls on my computer. He said that my internet provider would have to disable it; I couldn't do it myself. I called Comcast and the lady knew exactly what I was talking about and had it done in about 3 minutes. I asked her if that firewall was the thing that keeps my wireless signal "locked down" so people can't hack into my signal. She said it was not. I asked her if that firewall was what helped keep my computer safe when I'm on line. She said no, it isn't - that is what my McAfee and Norton do. I really have no idea what that router firewall was for and she didn't either. Once she took it off, my Telo fired right up. My port went off without a hitch about two weeks later. Maybe it is just your router firewall afterall.
-Sherri
#52564 by koongo
Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:41 am
Sherri

Verizon will not help me with firewall issues. The Verizon tech told me it was dangerous to be on the Internet without the firewall and they would not support disabling the firewall because of security issues. Verizon would not tell me how to disable it but they said if I could figure out how to do it on my own then I could try.

Some other Ooma user must be on Verizon FIOS and have an Actiontec MI424WR router and be able to help. It seems like Verizon is such a big company that Ooma must have lots of users on Verizon and Ooma must have figured out what to do and that Ooma tech support should be able to help.

koongo
#52566 by ntoy
Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:00 am
Hello koongo,

When you spoke with our support folks & they had you plug your computer to the "Home" port on the Hub & went into setup.ooma.com > What is the "Home Port MAC Address? And which store did you buy the Hub from?

Please send me a personal email.

Thx,
Norm
#52726 by koongo
Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:40 pm
Ooma is working now!

They sent me a new activation code based on the different MAC address. Once I reactivated the Ooma telephone started working just like it was supposed to. The call quality is fine. I have to try the voice mail next.

koongo
#56106 by oomanj
Thu May 20, 2010 4:44 am
I had a problem with the firewall with Verizon Fios. My Ooma telo wouldn't work, since it was getting blocked. Nothing on the telo would light up except for the 1 and the 2.

You need to log into http://192.168.1.1 - this will allow you to get to the firewall page. However, you don't want to disable or even change the firewall for everything. What happens is that your computer might be 192.168.1.3, while a web-enabled Blu-Ray player might be 192.168.1.2, etc. Basically, every item that you have hooked up to your integrated modem/router from Verizon will have a unique number like that. One of those should be your Ooma device - it might be 192.168.1.7, for instance.

You want to establish that the Ooma device is allowed into the DMZ host. Basically you are turning off the firewall for the Ooma device only, while keeping security settings for everything else. I would have someone at Verizon tech support help you out to make sure that you're doing this right.

By the way, Ooma discusses the problem if you search under Service Ports. They don't mention Fios specifically, but they discuss the firewall problem.