Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#51615 by Joecamp4
Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:47 pm
I have just received my Ooma Telo. My Router is in my basement. If I hook the Telo up in my basement per the instructions. Can I have a phone in my office and a phone in my bedroom as well? Or, am I limited to one phone hooked up directly to the telo?

Thanks in advance!
#51618 by dsinternet
Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:54 pm
I have my Telo behind my router and then I run a phone wire from my Telo to a nearby wall Jack. With this set up I can use any other wall jack in the house with no limit on the number of phones. I hope this helps; I didn't know for sure what you where asking.
Welcome to Ooma. I have had my Telo since Nov and love it.
#51630 by southsound
Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:14 pm
Joecamp4 wrote:Thank you very much for the quick reply. Can I do this prior to shutting off my LAN line?

You cannot have ooma dialtone and your landline dialtone on the same pair of wires, so no. But what about one of the new Uniden or Panasonic DECT 6.0 multiple handset cordless systems? I have two of the Unidens and they work really well. Cost was about $80 from Staples during a sale. The neat advantage of the multi-handset systems is that they can share the same phonebook, they have intercom between handsets, each handset has a speakerphone built-in and you can have more than one handset on the call at the same time. Nice when both you and your spouse are calling Aunt Sally to wish her a happy birthday. I don't really see much need for corded phones anymore unless you are using it for a power failure backup with a landline.

And lest we forget, welcome to ooma and to the forum!
#51643 by dsinternet
Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:23 am
Using the home phone wiring only works if you don't have a land line. I dropped my land line years ago with Vonage. Made the switch to Ooma and love it. My Ooma is in a storage closet so I like having access via the phone jacks in the house.