Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#51082 by superboiler
Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:47 pm
Just ported my number and can't seem to get the hub to work with phones in the house. I can connect a phone to the PHONE side of the hub and phone works fine. But when I try to connect the WALL side back to the wall plug, none of the phones on the house/wall side work. If I connect the PHONE to the WALL side,the phones work. Am I missing something?
#51083 by tommies
Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:59 pm
The PHONE port is for the dial tone, you can connect it to your phone set or the wall jack to provide the dial tone to your house wiring--you need to disconnect your house wiring from the telco network first. It can be done at the NIB (network interface box, aka. DERMARC)

The WALL port should be let unused after your number ported. Unfortunately, the WALL port is a mis-labeled on ooma part. It only purpose is to intergrade your land line with ooma (when your number is porting)
#51098 by superboiler
Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:27 am
Okay...I plug a phone wire from the wall to the PHONE side of the Hub and I now have phone service throughout the house. Great! I am a little confused as to why everything in the manuals indicate running the wall side line to the WALL plug on the Ooma hub but whatever.

Scout hookup
Now I tried to hook up the Scout. I went another spot in the house and I get the Ooma dial tone. I disconnect the plug from the phone and plug it in the WALL side of the scout. I run another line to the phone - PHONE side of Scout to phone. Still get the dial tone on the phone after I power up the Scout but the bottom four buttons light up red. So something is wrong. Any help?

The inlet phone service has been disconnected.
#51106 by dtalwar
Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:57 am
Here's how the connections work:

a) Ooma Hub (Phone) to a Phone (or Wall if you want to distribute the dial tone throughout the house)
b) Ooma Hub (Wall) to Scout (Wall) and then Scout (Phone) to a Phone

If you're using (a) to distribute the dial tone throughout the house, then you can't simply connect Scout to a phone jack. You will need to use the other pair of wiring. You should have at least two- twisted pairs (A and B). You can use the A-B Splitters on both ends to use line B for Scout connection. Hope this helps.
#51111 by lbmofo
Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:18 am
Make sure your house wiring is isolated from the telephone company at the NIB. Then...

"you can use a single line splitter to connect both the WALL and PHONE ports on the ooma hub to the jack in the wall. Then you can either plug a regular phone or a scout in any jack in your home."

Check out this post
#51157 by mthomtech
Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:01 pm
lbmofo's solutions works, and the other thread referenced has some tips by southsound and others on how to keep the Scout's HPNA signal on separate wire pairs from the dial-tone from the Hub.

I just used the Ooma splitter and connected both the wall and phone port both the wall jack (which will use the same wiring for either the Scout or dial tone) like lbmofo suggested. Southsound's solution to use different pairs of wires requires a little more work/splitters, but is nice clean solution.

Welcome to Ooma ... you'll love it!
#51166 by lbmofo
Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:49 pm
mthomtech wrote:lbmofo's solutions works, and the other thread referenced has some tips by southsound and others on how to keep the Scout's HPNA signal on separate wire pairs from the dial-tone from the Hub.

I just used the Ooma splitter and connected both the wall and phone port both the wall jack (which will use the same wiring for either the Scout or dial tone) like lbmofo suggested. Southsound's solution to use different pairs of wires requires a little more work/splitters, but is nice clean solution.

Welcome to Ooma ... you'll love it!

mthomtech, maybe you got southsound mixed up with dtalwar? :P
#51189 by mthomtech
Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:50 pm
I was referring to southsound's info in the thread you linked to. That's definitely a thread to bookmark and continue to circulate as people with the hub and scout are figuring out setups.

I wonder if the Ooma folks can take some of those threads and build onto the knowledgebase. There are some good ones in here.