Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#50559 by laurie
Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:54 pm
I don't get it.. the supply from ma-bell obviously was unplugged when my cable company talked me into a bundle..after I got the ooma and started to connected it... i didn't disconnect the wires (red & green only {by the way} cable/phone wires connected to the interface coming into the house ( where the phone company taps in ) but, I unplugged the phone cord going into the cable/phone modem. o.k., to review, the phone company modular plug is disconnected from the interface ( you know the gray box where "we meet them") but, the red and green connected to the (our) interface side.. are still connected... but this goes up to a disconnected modular jack. no harm.. so far right?.. o.k. anyway. the router and internet modem in the basement (not cable/phone modem which is in the garage, previously discussed, by the way [disconnected by simply unplugging a male to male phone cord connector ] you know what i mean!).. o.k. at this point I want to point that we are are isolated from the phone company and the cable company, but when I tie into a working outlet with either the WALL or the PHONE outlet of my OMAMMA { i mean ooma } ! no dial tone.. I bought the ooma handset (really cool), everything come up good. Strong dial tone, When I go back and hook-up the cable/phone router ( which is only hooked up green and red and then the rest of the wires are all just cut or twisted all over creation) all the outlets work. I understand that many of the features will be lost due to hooking up a bunch of dinosaur phones but, my wife wants a good old conventional old school phone and you know what; so do I. We're almost there ooma!!!! Please help... Understand, that when I completely isolate the ooma and re-connect the cable/phone modem everything comes back to life... where did I get lost? .
#50565 by southsound
Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:43 pm
First off, welcome to ooma! Now let's try to solve your problem. Since you do not have an integrated landline, there is no purpose whatever for the WALL port on your Telo. The ooma dialtone is available from the PHONE port. First, try plugging a regular corded phone in and it will most likely work fine. Next, run a phone line from the PHONE jack on the Telo to the place where your cable modem voice jack plugged into your home wiring. It could be that one or more of your jacks are wired incorrectly. After you find that it works with that wiring, go to each of the jacks in your home and see what is connected. Bonus question - has there ever been an alarm connected to the phone line? If so that could be part of the problem. Phone wiring is not really difficult - but sometimes backyard electricians (and I use that term very loosly) cause a nightmare of wires that makes things not work. It could be that with a few hours, a multimeter and 9V battery - or better yet, a cable tracer from Harbor Freight - you can have things tip top again. Let us know what you find.
#50573 by laurie
Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:56 am
In your post to me you said: Next, run a phone line from the PHONE jack on the Telo to the place where your cable modem voice jack plugged into your home wiring.

Why would it matter where the ooma is intercepts the phone wiring system? If you pick up any phone in the house, you can hear that they are all connected together.. talked to a buddy last night and his cable/phone/modem is in his den where his t.v. is located.

Here's my new round-a-bout question.. It seems to me that my cable/phone/modem should work like the ooma. Meaning that when the cable/phone/modem is tapped into the phone system and the ooma is isolated, everything works fine. But, if I isolate the cable/phone/modem and add the ooma, no dial tone and yes, ooma phone jack has tone.

I could run a twisted pair all.......all..... all the way back to where the cable/phone/modem is located but, why would that be any different than tapping in a working phone jack? ( like my buddy's cable/phone/modem that tapped in a wall jack? )
#50576 by southsound
Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:50 am
laurie wrote:Why would it matter where the ooma is intercepts the phone wiring system? If you pick up any phone in the house, you can hear that they are all connected together.. talked to a buddy last night and his cable/phone/modem is in his den where his t.v. is located.

Sorry, I guess I don't understand troubleshooting. Why not have your buddy take a look at things? I give up. :cry:
#50621 by lbmofo
Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:37 pm
What SouthSound was trying to say is that if your ooma device is activated with a new number (maybe temp number until porting is done) and if you replace your cable digital phone device with your ooma device, everything should work as before given that you still have internet.
#50799 by laurie
Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:05 am
It's me again, I GOT IT, everything works. I had a wire crossed in the new phone jack: I installed (oops)! Thanks to everyone for your help and quick response..