Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#3068 by bob m
Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:18 am
Is my Linksys DSL Router model BEFSR41 an "integrated router" that is referenced on page 5 of the ooma "Quick Start Guide"?
#3069 by murphy
Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:28 am
No, it's just a router. You have a separate modem connected to it.
#3070 by bob m
Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:40 am
I get my internet service via a microwave signal to an antenna on my roof which is then wired directly to my router. There's no piece of equipment that appears to be a modem in between the antenna and the router. Same answer?
#3071 by murphy
Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:13 am
There is no way that a microwave antenna is connected directly to that router. There is a microwave receiver either on the roof co-located with the antenna or hidden away somewhere in the house. The cable to the WAN/Internet port of the router is a standard cat-5e cable. What is your return path? Is it also via microwave? If so, there is also a microwave transmitter up there.

In any event your ooma installation is the same as page 4. Just replace the "modem" in the diagram with "LAN cable from the roof".

Do you really have a microwave link or is it a WiFi adapter, operating in bridge mode, and running on 2.4 GHz and connecting to a city wide WiFi distribution system?
#3073 by bob m
Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:15 am
Sorry, my meager brain couldn't begin to answer all that technical stuff. However, the return path is via the same system and our little town certainly doesn't have a city wide WiFi distribution system.

From what you're saying it seems like the only difference between the page 4 vs. page 5 installation is that you're saying that I should hook up the ooma before the router vs. after the router. Correct?
#3076 by Soundjudgment
Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:53 am
You can actually run the ooma Hub before OR after the Ethernet router and it should still work fine. As long as you see the blue LED on the back of the ooma Hub, you should be good to go. Try it either way and see which one works best.
#3796 by sgrunspan
Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:34 pm
I am curios about your call quality? I know microwave links can have large bandwidth but I thought latency was very high, too high for VOIP.
#3809 by WayneDsr
Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:33 am
I'm not sure what kind of internet connection you have, but this is from the ooma Installation Guide.

What You Need In Your Home
To install the ooma system, you will need to have a high-speed (DSL, cable or fiber-optic) Internet connection.
Dial-up Internet connections are not fast enought to support the ooma service. The ooma system also does not support satellite or wireless broadband connections.

Wayne