The diagram on the inside of its cover shows terminals 1 and 8 go to the telco wiring.
I attempted to hook up my OOMA Telo with the following steps:
1. Disconnected the telco service by unplugging the cable in the outside demarc box. Alarm system beeps to warn of a dead line.
2. Disconnected the alarm system by unplugging it from the RJ31X.
3. Compared the wire that came with the Telo to RJ11 pinouts at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RJ11#Pinouts, verifying red/green are ring/tip on pin positions 3/4.
4. Found an old two-wire phone cable I had around the house with red/green in the same position. Cut, stripped, and hooked up red to 1 (ring) & green to 8 (tip) of the RJ31X. Hooked the plug end to the phone jack on the Telo.
5. Checked a phone connected to the house wiring and it's dead.
6. Plugged a phone directly to the phone jack on the Telo and it works, so I know it isn't fried.
7. Checked continuity on my cut wire to verify there wasn't a break.
Any ideas what I could be doing wrong? TIA!!!
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.
I had to untangle some wires to follow them, but I was able to verify that the wires from the demarc box did indeed go to 4 & 5. Hooked up my cut cable to the RJ31X with red to 4 and green to 5, plugged into the phone port on the Ooma and got the Ooma tone.
I was still a little puzzled that the RJ31X wasn't wired according to the diagram, so I decided to test it. I wired everything back how it was originally, called my Ooma phone from my home phone, put my alarm in test mode, triggered the alarm system, and it dropped the call and the alarm code was sent. Next step will be verifying that the alarm system and OfficeJet fax work over Ooma!