Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#49679 by voipnoob
Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:57 pm
I have a security system with RJ31X of the form shown at http://www.shout.net/~wildixon/telecom/rj/rj31x.html.
The diagram on the inside of its cover shows terminals 1 and 8 go to the telco wiring.

I attempted to hook up my OOMA Telo with the following steps:
1. Disconnected the telco service by unplugging the cable in the outside demarc box. Alarm system beeps to warn of a dead line.
2. Disconnected the alarm system by unplugging it from the RJ31X.
3. Compared the wire that came with the Telo to RJ11 pinouts at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RJ11#Pinouts, verifying red/green are ring/tip on pin positions 3/4.
4. Found an old two-wire phone cable I had around the house with red/green in the same position. Cut, stripped, and hooked up red to 1 (ring) & green to 8 (tip) of the RJ31X. Hooked the plug end to the phone jack on the Telo.
5. Checked a phone connected to the house wiring and it's dead.
6. Plugged a phone directly to the phone jack on the Telo and it works, so I know it isn't fried.
7. Checked continuity on my cut wire to verify there wasn't a break.

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong? TIA!!!
#49681 by Groundhound
Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:26 pm
I thought that the two center pins, 2 & 3 in your diagram, are the live line contacts on the RJ11 plug on the Telo.
#49688 by southsound
Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:49 pm
Your cable is correct - but it needs to go to terminals 4 and 5 (R and T) because the Telo is acting as a FXS device - in other words, like a telco central office. The terminals 1 and 8 (R1 and T1) go to the wiring in your home that supplies dialtone to the jacks. Take this as advice from an old telco employee. :P
#49747 by voipnoob
Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:39 pm
Thank you for your help Southsound!

I had to untangle some wires to follow them, but I was able to verify that the wires from the demarc box did indeed go to 4 & 5. Hooked up my cut cable to the RJ31X with red to 4 and green to 5, plugged into the phone port on the Ooma and got the Ooma tone.

I was still a little puzzled that the RJ31X wasn't wired according to the diagram, so I decided to test it. I wired everything back how it was originally, called my Ooma phone from my home phone, put my alarm in test mode, triggered the alarm system, and it dropped the call and the alarm code was sent. Next step will be verifying that the alarm system and OfficeJet fax work over Ooma!