Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#49443 by kat7
Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:53 am
Hello all - I just purchased a new Telo, activated the account, set up the Telo (first between my Time Warner cable modem and my Airport Express wireless router, then behind the router), and let it boot up, but hours later, it's still just flashing the red icon. When I try the handset, I get a busy signal. I've rebooted, reconfigured, double checked, wept.... still no progress.

The 2, trash, mail, and fast forward icons are lit up blue.

The "To Internet" green light on the back has never lit up.

Is this a cable signal problem, a modem problem, a Telo problem, a me problem.... ? Any advice / suggestions would be most welcome!
#49446 by murphy
Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:59 am
kat7 wrote:Hello all - I just purchased a new Telo, activated the account, set up the Telo (first between my Time Warner cable modem and my Airport Express wireless router, then behind the router), and let it boot up, but hours later, it's still just flashing the red icon. When I try the handset, I get a busy signal. I've rebooted, reconfigured, double checked, wept.... still no progress.

The 2, trash, mail, and fast forward icons are lit up blue.

The "To Internet" green light on the back has never lit up.

Is this a cable signal problem, a modem problem, a Telo problem, a me problem.... ? Any advice / suggestions would be most welcome!

Is the "to Internet" port connected to a router LAN port?
Is the LAN cable a straight through cable (as opposed to a crossover cable)?
#49449 by kat7
Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:06 am
Right now, I have the "To Internet" port connected to an ethernet port on the router with the phone cable that came with the Telo, and the router's WAN port connected to the modem with an ethernet cable.

In the previous configuration, I had the "To Internet" port connected to the ethernet port on the modem, and the "Home Network" port connected to the WAN port on the router.

Same result: blinking red icon.
#49455 by murphy
Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:36 am
kat7 wrote:Right now, I have the "To Internet" port connected to an ethernet port on the router with the phone cable that came with the Telo, and the router's WAN port connected to the modem with an ethernet cable.
Same result: blinking red icon.

You can't use a "phone" cable to connect ethernet ports.
Make sure that the cable that you are using has 8 conductors.
#49457 by kat7
Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:45 am
Thanks - it looks like this config is working when it comes to the Telo:

Telo "Home Network" to Router WAN via ethernet cable
Telo "To Internet" to modem ethernet via ethernet cable
Telo "Phone" to phone via phone cable

However, the light on the router is now blinking orange instead of steady green when it's hooked up to the Home Network port. If I hook the computer up directly to the Home Network port on the Telo via ethernet cable, I can get back online.
#49460 by murphy
Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:59 am
kat7 wrote:Thanks - it looks like this config is working when it comes to the Telo:

Telo "Home Network" to Router WAN via ethernet cable
Telo "To Internet" to modem ethernet via ethernet cable
Telo "Phone" to phone via phone cable

However, the light on the router is now blinking orange instead of steady green when it's hooked up to the Home Network port. If I hook the computer up directly to the Home Network port on the Telo via ethernet cable, I can get back online.

There are two LEDs.
The orange should be on solid.
The green should blink when there is data traffic being passed, otherwise it is out.
#49782 by voipnoob
Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:23 pm
Did it work when it was connected directly to the modem? Maybe your router is configured to only allow traffic from MACIDs registered in its administration program? Mine would have had this problem but I chose to put the Telo between the cable modem and router so I would have better quality of service and wouldn't have to mess with it.