Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#2935 by Goodcooker
Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:43 pm
To install the new ooma Hub, I had to move our voice msg machine (integrated into our Panasonic KX-TG5633 phone) from our family room into the den (replaced by the ooma Msg capability) where our router/DSL modem resides. We are now using the Hub for phone messages.

We don't need a second phone line/number, but we'd like to use the Scout as a means to access messages from the Hub located in another room.

I attached the Scout to our phone line in the family room, except for attaching a 2nd phone to it. Nothing but red lights across the bottom.

Can the Scout connect with the Hub in this manner, providing the ability to get phone msgs on the Scout that are held on the Hub, without connecting a 2nd phone to the Scout?

Curious. Thanks for any ideas you may have!
#2937 by WayneDsr
Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:38 pm
Attach the WALL out on the hub to your phone wall jack.
Attach the WALL out on the Scout to your phone wall jack in the other room. The Scout should connect to the hub via house wiring.

Hope this helps
Wayne
#2977 by Goodcooker
Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:47 pm
Wayne - Thx. Tried this originally, and no blue light. Tried a few other phone line connections around the house to the same effect.

Might be a wiring issue in the house, unless there are other ideas for things to try...

The Hub for the moment is just a passthrough for the landline signal. I'm still using the landline until the number is transfered to the Hub. I assume this change isn't needed to activate the Scout, but thought I'd mention it.
#3000 by av8rdude
Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:02 am
Goodcooker wrote:The Hub for the moment is just a passthrough for the landline signal. I'm still using the landline until the number is transfered to the Hub. I assume this change isn't needed to activate the Scout, but thought I'd mention it.

If you are using the hub to passthru your old service then none of the cool features will work. You are still completely using your old service, voicemail, etc.
I don't understand why ooma doesn't discourage this setup option. It is much easier to just get a new temporary number, forward your calls to this number and then hook the system up. Then you are truly using ooma, it's calling plan, and all the features immediately.
Your scout will work when you finish the port (a month for me) or if you call support and get them to switch your setup now.
Cheers,
Scott
#3072 by rarod
Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:28 am
I am having the same problem as "Good Cooker" below: Ooma hub is conected, works fine. I attached the Scout to our phone line in the kitchen, Nothing but red lights across the bottom. I do have a ooma phone number. Any suggestions? Thanks!
#3077 by av8rdude
Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:25 am
rarod wrote:I am having the same problem as "Good Cooker" below: Ooma hub is conected, works fine. I attached the Scout to our phone line in the kitchen, Nothing but red lights across the bottom. I do have a ooma phone number. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Do you have the "wall" outlet on the hub connected to your house wiring?
#3085 by WayneDsr
Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:31 pm
Make sure you have both the hub and the scout attached to the phone wall jack with the WALL out on both units.

Test the scout by connecting it directly to the back of the hub WALL TO WALL. If the scout works then you must have a wiring problem.
Does (did) a regular phone work in this kitchen jack?
Do you have DSL or cable?

Thanks,
Wayne
#3146 by jw530
Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:03 am
I believe I have a similar situation as Goodcooker. I have the modem located in the bedroom, but I want the answering machine/cordless base station located in the kitchen. I still have my landline and I hooked everything up according to the diagram for a shared DSL/landline connection using the splitter. I thought that was how the ooma was supposed to work by sharing the landline. It doesn't work.

I tried to use the scout to see if I could put the cordless answering machine/basestation in the kitchen so the ooma hub could pass the VOIP to it. Didn't work. I still get regular dialtone through the scout. In both instances the light on the hub and base station were red.

So is the solution to this problem to eliminate the landline by getting dryloop DSL and porting the home phone number to ooma? Then will the ooma scout support an answering machine/basestation in the kitchen?
Also does the scout have to be used with a phone, or could the scout be used as a stand-alone answering machine?

I can get the ooma to work with the newly created ooma number connected to the directly to the hub, but that's it.