Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#48872 by mthomtech
Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:58 pm
Is there a reason that you HAVE to have a number with that area code and prefix? If it's not showing up as available, it most likely means that it is indeed not available. So you'll either need to port over your existing number if you want to keep it, or choose a new number that is available.

It works the same way for new phone numbers with all telco's or cell phones, they can only give you the numbers that are available.
#48996 by Mike-o-Matic
Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:33 pm
Ooma has to pay for DIDs (direct inward dials, AKA "phone numbers") whether they're allocated to a customer or not. So I'm sure that like a lot of phone providers, in areas where they have low market penetration, where they don't keep a pool of numbers "on tap."

However, if you request that they offer a number in your area, they'll order some numbers, as rocketman1622 said. It will take probably six weeks to get them provisioned and available to you.
#49551 by oomg
Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:01 am
Or... you can port an existing number into your Ooma system. At my remote New England location, I got a special deal from AT&T which included dsl at a substantially reduced price for one year. When I set up my Ooma system for that location, I picked the nearest number which is a local call to those in the same exchange as my location. This number happens to be across the border in an neighboring state, but it works fine. Now that my "special introductory" AT&T dsl deal is over, I will port my existing number in and switch to dry loop dsl.
#49557 by DTMF
Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:29 am
A workaround would be to get a prepaid (no-contract) cell phone with your desired number and then port that number over to Ooma.
#49608 by CaptainKen
Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:21 pm
I had the same thing, I wasn't a second number in my area code and there wasn't any listed. All you have to do is write the support and tell them what area code you want and they will get you one, it may take a week or so but they will get you a number in the area code you want.