Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#49348 by mark66
Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:25 pm
When I called ooma support last week, they told me that my porting would happen on 3/5. Now inbound calls to my home phone get the message "this is not a working number", but I can make outbound calls from the home number (supposedly "non working number"). Called ooma and then called my current provider based on ooma feedback. Charter communication(my current provider) is supposed to restore the phone today and the porting is supposed to happen on 3/5 (originally charter had it planned for 3/4 though according to ooma it was 3/5, but that still doesn't explain why inbound calls were getting the "non working phone" message). I had placed a call forward on my home phone number to my ooma number and I was relying on that so that I don't have to give the temporary ooma number to anyone.

Now I am hoping everything will go okay on 3/5, but this has been a very unpleasant experience so far from ooma and charter. ooma never sent the email out stating when the porting will happen nor did they ever provide a firm port date so far.
#49465 by AZGuyJoe
Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:41 pm
I just had a good experience as well.
It took 2 weeks. I received an email the day before it was going to switch. On the switch date I did lose that line for a few hours but when it came back all was well.
Later that afternoon ooma emailed to tell me that everything was switched and I could call Cox to discontinue the phone service.
I called Cox who automatically terminated the service when the number was ported.
#49498 by mark66
Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:24 pm
My porting experience is getting worse by day.

Ooma never sent me an email stating when the porting will happen. My current provider was asked to port the number on 3/4 by ooma and they already did that (no dial tone any more from landline). Now when I call ooma customer support, they are telling me that porting may or may not happen tomorrow, as it is just an estimated date. When I asked the customer service as to why I didn't get a firm date and email, they claim they may not have the right email address for me though I receive a junk email every day from ooma.

Now I am concerned that I will lose my landline number in this process. I am on hold trying to talk to a supervisor for the last 10 minutes.
Last edited by mark66 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#49569 by Shawn
Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:15 am
:D
Hello,
Just want to share my porting experience from AT&T to Ooma.
2/19/2010 Activated my Ooma Telo, requested porting the same day.
2/20/2010 Received email stating expected due date of 3/05/2010.
3/02/2010 Received email confirming expected due date of 3/05/2010.
3/05/2010 Received email notification at 10 am of phone number change. I disconnect AT&T from the outside network box and connected the house wiring to the Telo unit. Everything seemed to be working.

I would say this had been a very good experience. I think the timing can be improved but Ooma delivered what was promised.
#49640 by mark66
Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:09 pm
Finally my porting was completed on 3/5. I am a happy ooma customer now. :D :D

2/18 - Port ordered
3/5 - Port completed.

Never received any communication from ooma on port status until 3/5. ooma can definitely improve on this front.

Also I think (based on transactions posted to my account by my former phone company), my previous phone company also may have dropped the ball on communicating back to ooma (which may explain why they kept telling me that 3/5 is an estimated date and not a firm date).