Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#49162 by OomaTEC
Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:22 am
Not much clearer than that. Thanks Groundhound.
I need 3 separate lines/numbers that can be used at the same time. I have 2 Cores now and don't care about the Premier services. It seems like the most economical option is to buy another Core and put each number on a hub. After purchase and porting fees I should break even in about 7 months.
Any problem with that?
#49175 by Groundhound
Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:41 am
OomaTEC wrote:Not much clearer than that. Thanks Groundhound.
I need 3 separate lines/numbers that can be used at the same time. I have 2 Cores now and don't care about the Premier services. It seems like the most economical option is to buy another Core and put each number on a hub. After purchase and porting fees I should break even in about 7 months.
Any problem with that?

That should work, given the caveat about a consistent Internet connection mentioned earlier.
#49216 by OomaTEC
Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:49 pm
Well I thought I had it figured out until I called CS. The nice young lady told me Ooma would recommend using a Hub and Scout instead of 2 Hubs because when both lines are in use at the same time the Hub/Scout uses less bandwidth than 2 Hubs. Is that correct?

Also, she suggested adding the 3rd number to a Premier account for $4.99 mo. I asked how would you know which "line/number" is ringing. She told me by setting up a Distinctive Ring for each number. I see how that works when a phone is connected directly to a Hub or Scout but I am using whole house wiring. Does a "whole house" setup still give you a distinctive ring for each number? It may be a moot point anyway since I believe only 2 lines can be in use at the same time anyway.
#49234 by Groundhound
Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:42 pm
OomaTEC wrote:Well I thought I had it figured out until I called CS. The nice young lady told me Ooma would recommend using a Hub and Scout instead of 2 Hubs because when both lines are in use at the same time the Hub/Scout uses less bandwidth than 2 Hubs. Is that correct?

Also, she suggested adding the 3rd number to a Premier account for $4.99 mo. I asked how would you know which "line/number" is ringing. She told me by setting up a Distinctive Ring for each number. I see how that works when a phone is connected directly to a Hub or Scout but I am using whole house wiring. Does a "whole house" setup still give you a distinctive ring for each number? It may be a moot point anyway since I believe only 2 lines can be in use at the same time anyway.

I don't know about the reduced bandwidth claim, might be an interesting test for anyone who has two Hubs with at least one Premier account. I doubt there would be any significant difference. She is correct about using Distinctive Ring to differentiate between numbers (even with the whole house setup)on a single Hub, but you would only have the ability to use 2 lines simultaneously, and one of those would have to be connected via a Scout.