Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#45474 by summer
Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:00 pm
I'm completely confused. My house is wired for my internet. The modem and router are in a panel in the garage. So how do I set up my Telo? I've tried just plugging in an ethernet cable from the wall to the unit and that obviously doesn't work.

Thanks in advance. I'm just not that technologically advanced. :)
#45478 by inrame
Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:19 pm
well, if your modem and router are in the garage, you would want to follow the installation instructions about installing it after the router. and i would expect you could plug it into one of your jacks.

are you sure the jack has a live connection? can you plug your laptop in there and it works? you said "obviously doesn't work", but what exactly happens when you do this? does all the lights turn Blue?

i'm sure you'll find help here, we just need some more details. welcome to ooma!
#45481 by murphy
Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:43 pm
summer wrote:I'm completely confused. My house is wired for my internet. The modem and router are in a panel in the garage. So how do I set up my Telo? I've tried just plugging in an ethernet cable from the wall to the unit and that obviously doesn't work.

Thanks in advance. I'm just not that technologically advanced. :)

Connect an ethernet cable from the Internet port of the Telo to the ethernet jack in your wall. Leave the Home port empty. If that wall jack is live, it will work. If this an initial connection, there will be a long delay while the unit downloads and installs the latest firmware. Do not interrupt it. If you stop it at exactly the wrong time you can turn the Telo into the equivalent of a brick.
#45494 by amoney
Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:07 pm
Decide a location for your Ooma device as you will have to connect your phone to the ooma box aswell. Tis location will have to have a working network jack close by for the Ooma box to connect to. Plug it in and it should work (if that network jack is working). This is setup 2B.

If not post the model of your modem/router.

Alternatively you can connect the Ooma box in the same place as your other network equipment (setup 2A), but you will have to figure out how your going to connect your phone to the Ooma box, judging by the sounds of you house wiring, you may be able to connect the Ooma into your house telephone wiring (you have to disconnect your landline from your telco box outside).

Obviously try the first option above, as it is the easiest.