Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#45363 by Ellkabong
Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:45 pm
I have a Hub and 2 Scouts. I have 3 phone numbers, but I want to make one of them ring on "line 1" and the other on "line 2" every time. (I don't know what to do with the 3rd number, but that doesn't bother me right now)

I know it's probably been answered in here before, but I searched the forums and couldn't find it. (sorry)

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Ellkabong
#45366 by murphy
Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:50 pm
The physical lines are used first come first served.
There is no relationship between the lines and the phone numbers.
Only two of your three numbers can be in use at the same time.
#45400 by murphy
Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:57 am
Ellkabong wrote:I read in that you can assign a Scout to a number. How would this affect my situation? Would that Scout always ring line 1 with the assigned number, and then line 2 if line 1 was in use?

If there are no lines in use, the first incoming call will use physical line one no matter what number the call is for. If the called number is assigned to a scout, only that scout will ring. If the number is not assigned to a scout, all of the shared phones will ring. A scout that has a number assigned to it will not ring when a shared number is called. If physical line one is in use the next call, either incoming or outgoing, will use physical line 2.

Think of it as two pipes to the server. If pipe one is not in use, the next call will use pipe one. If pipe one is in use, the next call will use pipe two. If both pipes are in use, the next incoming call will go to voice mail.
#45420 by Ellkabong
Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:41 am
Thanks for your replies. I've almost got it, but I have one more grey area...

Can I call out on a specific number? Would I only be able to do that using the Scout with that number assigned to it? Also, on the Hub or other unassigned Scout, would that number be available to call out on, and if so, can you assign priority to the numbers?
#45421 by murphy
Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:48 am
No priorities but you can specify what number you are calling out on. The default main number is **0. The second number is **1. You can see these assignments in your my.ooma.com account under each number.

To place a call using the phone connected to the hub using the second number just precede the called number with **1.
#45435 by Ellkabong
Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:17 am
I'm wondering how my setup will use the second Scout. Can a number be assigned to more than one Scout? If not, then would that Scout be just for calling out or could it also answer calls? I understand that the second Scout gives VM access to another part of my house, but couldn't I instead just wire the "Phone" port from the Hub to another jack in the house (using the 2nd pair, etc) and have the same functionality?

Thanks for all of the answers.
#45438 by murphy
Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:32 am
A scout that is shared, assuming that you have a Premier subscription, gives you access to the instant second line. That means that two phone calls can be in progress on the same number at the same time. One call uses the phone connected to the hub while the second call uses the phone connected to the scout. It works for incoming or outgoing calls.

I have two scouts. One is tied to a personal number and the other is shared. Only one scout can be configured to a personal number.