Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#45148 by castro211
Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:56 pm
Hi all,

I bought my new Ooma Core from Amazon yesterday. Got one day delivery and installed it today.
Everything went fine. Activated it on the web, choose my number. Tried to make an outgoing call, went great. Tried to call myself and I tried calling five times (with some reboots between calls). Finally some irate gentlemen answered and got really angry since I tried calling 5 times (since it wasnt ringing on my end).

Called support. Tech support called from their Ooma phone and I got the call. WEIRD. Tech support then tried calling from their NON-Ooma number and the angry gentleman answered. What the heck!?!?!

Ok...so tech support give me a new number with same prefix. Fine. Tech support tells me to reboot the hub. I do. Then he tries to call my new Ooma from his NON-Ooma line. Guess what? AGAIN!! The number already belongs to someone else. No angry man just a voicemail that obviously isnt mine.

Seriously, how is that possible?

Tech support is supposed to call me tomorrow but its such an inconvience. I got things to be and cant be sitting at home.

Anyone else have any similiar issues?

Thanks,

Castro
#45158 by topwinder
Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:56 pm
Just a guess from what I have read, Ooma buys the phone number from a provider (usually the local phone company), so it is likely that the number being provided to Ooma is probably still being used by the provider somewhere else.
#45203 by Groundhound
Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:16 am
It does sound like Ooma was sold some numbers by that local phone company that were still in use. Reminds me of the old joke about the world's oldest profession: "You got it, you sell it, you still got it!" :D
#116426 by eskimodeb
Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:51 pm
I have had the same new phone number for 5 years...no changes with ooma service.

Two days ago, I received a call before 7 AM on my phone...that I did not know. The lady left a message and called me by name (as if knowing my caller ID); she said she was calling me back about a possible gift order.

I later googled the number...a gift company in NJ....which I did not know. I DID NOT call this firm. After looking up ooma info on not giving my caller ID, I left anonymous message to not call me again, I did NOT call that number and I had notified credit reporting companies of possible identity theft.

Late this afternoon, that NJ company called me back....confrontational and wanting to explain that my caller ID showed up...so she called me back; she claimed that she was not trying to scam me. She hinted that I accidentally called...or someone else at the time in my household....which was not true...since I was the only one home at the time....and I was asleep.....with my phone over 5 ft away from my bed!

IMHO, there is some type of breach then with ooma connection...or some other sophisticated scam that is going on that is hijacking my caller id. Luckily, I alerted my credit reporting bureaus. For over 1.5 yrs, I have a voice message saying I do not accept messages or telemarketing from out of state businesses; I also state that I am on my state and federal do not call lists.

Ooma......are you checking these issues out?

I was hoping to upgrade my system...but I will wait until I can confirm that the problem is NOT ooma.

eskimodeb :(
#116427 by MapleOne
Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:24 pm
eskimodeb

Seems like an awful lot of trouble you are going to.

I simply ignore the call and add to blacklist. I once notified my credit bureau of something (on advise of the police) and it took 6 years to get all the warnings off my account. It made my life hell as I was turned down for a lot of things I applied for.

Trying to confront everyone calling and going to the credit bureau would drive me nuts. I ignore, add to blacklist and keep an eye on my credit report ( I get a copy emailed monthly for a yearly subscription).
#116443 by eskimodeb
Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:48 am
I am retired...and I have had identity theft 2x in 10 yrs. In both cases, I was a few weeks BEFORE national news covered these topics. Since my first identity theft, I do NOT give out birthdate or SS# out completely...or tell them I am not comfortable giving that out. On facebook, I have not given my real DOB since I don't trust their security. I shred all of my mail.

A few years ago, my insurance company would call me...with a number of different caller id names. I do think there is technology out there that could have some people hijack your caller id phone number and name. I spoke with ooma customer service last night. I did check my call list...and NO calls came from my phone number to this business in NJ.

I am not planning to ask for any more new credit. I learned there is a 30 something yr old with the same name as me that has a car loan and student loan listed on my credit report; I plan on reviewing my credit report in detail and make corrections.

I purchased my ooma system almost 5 years ago and it still works great. I was grandfathered into ooma with no monthly charges even for sales tax or universal telecommunications taxes. I went with a wireless modem/router 3 years ago.

I don't have the ooma extra features to block caller of $9.99 per mo; I didn't need it for almost 5 years now IMHO, having a LONG voice message indicating no out of state calls are allowed, I am on state and federal do not call list...and threatening prosecution is helpful. My friends don't mind my message....or just call me back when I am home.

Ooma did block that phone number to me...and to all other ooma users (which is a good thing IMHO). My ooma rep thinks this might be more of a scam....trying to get me to call back and give personal info; other phone scams have recently been uncovered that target seniors (which I am one).

Ooma said they do NOT give out our phone info to any local phone books....so our phone numbers should be not listed in any telephone directory: I think this is a great plus for me but may be a problem for businesses.

I would imagine that companies we do business with sell our personal data to other telemarketers...so that is part of the information age. :(