Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#44523 by DictatorZero
Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:28 pm
I know there have been a number of questions asked in regards to faxing and having issues. While I've fallowed the numerous directions (*99, baud rate, etc. etc.) I'm specifically trying to set up the system to receive faxes on a distinctive ring.

My Fax (all in one printer) supports distinctive ring answering for faxes, and Ooma has a distinctive ring you can choose, I can't get it to work. :( I tried a number of various Distinctive ring tones, both those outputted from Ooma and what the fax machine is looking for (it's really not that complicated matching "long-pause-long" to "long-pause-long" isn't all that difficult.

The furthest I got was a test fax came in, the fax machine what trying to receive it and the voicemail picked up for some reason, even though the line had been picked up.... I've already tried changing the amount of rings until VM picks up, but to no avail.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
#45065 by ntoy
Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:10 am
Hello,

Apologize for delayed response!

We do offer distinctive ringtones. However, they are not programmable for dedicated fax signaling.
I understand you tried setting the number of rings before voicemail pickup. Have you tried checking the box
"Enable Fax Mode" in My Ooma? - Go to Preferences>Phone Numbers - click on the phone number link & you should see a popup window for this check box.

Other than lowering the baud rate among other things in the link below:
https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeba ... er-devices

We can only offer best efforts support on faxing at this time. We are working on future developments to help improve faxing
#45296 by alancommike
Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:29 pm
One thing to keep in mind, I believe you need to reboot your Ooma device (Telo/Hub) for distinctive ring to take effect. There's no feedback from Ooma on which operations require a reboot and which don't. Kinda sucks.

I have this working fine with my fax machine (a Brother all-in-one). Set the fax machine to pick up on distinctive ring, set Ooma vmail to pick up on 4 rings. All works as expected.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the Telo Handset *does not* match the distinctive ring that you set on "My Ooma". The distinctive ring seems to be only for the POTS port of the Ooma device.

...alan