Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#42145 by SamFelis
Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:54 am
We have Verizon Fios and are in the process of porting our landline number to Ooma.

When connecting the Ooma hub, I connected it to our Verizon router (D-Link DI-624) and then our laptop to the Ooma hub. If I do not connect the phone line, the tab remains red, as do buttons 1/2/>/>> and I'm unable to connect to the Internet via the laptop. (We have three other computers connected to the DI-624, all of which can connect regardless of whether the laptop can or cannot.)

If I connect a phone line the Ooma hub (even if no phone is connected), the red lights go off and I can connect to the Internet via the laptop. If a phone is connected to the Ooma hub, there is no dial tone on the phone.

If I keep the phone disconnected (e.g., connected straight to the wall), there is a dial tone on that line.

So, with the above in mind, my questions are:

Why must there be a phone line connected to the Ooma hub if it won't work?

Is there a technical bulletin on how to configure this correctly (e.g., connect via Fios while waiting for a phone number to be ported)?

If I do connect a phone to the Ooma hub, why isn't there a dial tone?

How do I see my laptop from my other computers on the network?

How can I see my Ooma hub from other computers on the network?
#42147 by murphy
Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:15 am
When you registered your hub did you select the integrate with my land line option?
If you did, there must be an active land line connected to the wall port of the hub for it to work.
#42160 by SamFelis
Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:20 am
I don't recall whether it was "integrate" with or what...I did select to port my current number. Is there a way to tell from My Ooma which configuration it was set to?

FWIW, since originally posting, I plugged in my phone into the Ooma jack, and then plugged that into the wall and can now make/receive phone calls (via the Ooma dial tone), but no caller Id functionality exists. Is this normal while waiting for the number to port? (Calls made from this phone show up as coming from my home phone number.)
#42197 by murphy
Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:40 pm
If you did not select a temporary ooma phone number when you registered then you selected the integrate option.
Many of the features do not work with an integrated land line.
Once the port is complete, they will work.
#42264 by SamFelis
Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:05 am
Thanks for the info, murphy, that makes it a little more palatable. Thankfully there are folks like you (and other forum folk) that are willing to share your experience and help us newly converted out...I'm still waiting on a response from Ooma regarding my questions.