Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#42000 by kelkin
Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:18 am
I'm a new ooma customer and was hoping I wouldn't have the customer service issues that I've read about others having. I called customer service because my caller ID wasn't being blocked even though I configured it to, and I can't switch over to the other call when I have a call waiting beep even though I have the option checked to pass the flash key to the landline. I know everyone reccommends that you don't integrate the landline but I had already done that when I first set the ooma up due to the length of the porting process.

Well, customer service told me to reboot the ooma which I did. That seemed to fix the caller ID issue when I performed a test with the agent on the line. My phone started ringing with a caller ID of "347" but I ignored it, it went to voicemail, then the rep says he is going to call me to test the call waiting so we hang up on the other line. My phone never rings, then I get a voicemail with an attitude saying "I can't help you if you aren't going to answer the phone, I will try you again in an hour".

I'm not sure if he is the one who called me or not, since he didn't tell me he was going to call until after the call went to voicemail.. but either way, what kind of tech support person leaves a voicemail like that?
#42003 by ntoy
Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:42 am
Hello,

I apologize if that was the response you had received. We appreciate the feedback & will communicate this back to our teams.

As for Landline configuration with Ooma, you would need to have "call forward busy or busy call forward" with your phone company & to contact us so that we can also modify the configuration on your account. Since you have a telo, you would also need to have at least one telo handset in addition to your phone.

With that said, you are porting as well - this would be a 180 degree change. When your number port completes, your account will become Nonlandline. Then, call forward busy with your phone company would all be a moot point.
#42030 by amoney
Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:20 pm
Others have indicated that they contacted customer service and requested to remove landline integration. You can then setup forwarding from your landline to your temporary Ooma number.
#42032 by kelkin
Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:29 pm
Hello,
Thanks for the quick response. I was wondering if you could elaborate on what you just said. I have Optimum Voice right now which is what I'm porting over to ooma, and you said I need an ooma handset which I have, I just haven't hooked up yet. Based on what you said, I take it I need to call ooma and create a second number, then call-forward busy my number to my ooma's second number, and use the ooma handset to switch between calls? Am I guessing correctly? If not, what exactly do I need to do?

Also, using my regular cordless phone, how can I bridge two calls together? I was able to call one person, flash, then call the other person, but pressing flash again only let me switch back and forth between them and not combine the calls. Is there not a way to do that with the flash button?
Thanks
#42035 by murphy
Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:41 pm
kelkin wrote:Also, using my regular cordless phone, how can I bridge two calls together? I was able to call one person, flash, then call the other person, but pressing flash again only let me switch back and forth between them and not combine the calls. Is there not a way to do that with the flash button?
Thanks

The only way that I am aware of is to push the 1 and 2 buttons on the ooma box at the same time.
#42048 by kelkin
Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:22 pm
murphy wrote:
kelkin wrote:Also, using my regular cordless phone, how can I bridge two calls together? I was able to call one person, flash, then call the other person, but pressing flash again only let me switch back and forth between them and not combine the calls. Is there not a way to do that with the flash button?
Thanks

The only way that I am aware of is to push the 1 and 2 buttons on the ooma box at the same time.

Really? Wow, how could their system be so advanced yet not be able to bridge calls using the flash button of a regular phone? I hope that's something they can change.
-Keith
#42053 by ntoy
Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:38 pm
Hello,

Yes, our conference calling feature is what murphy had mentioned. It has to be done on the Telo. You make a call on line 1, press line 2(will automatically put line 1 on hold) & you will hear a new dialtone to make the 2nd call. Once you connect, press both line 1 & 2 at the same time and you will be on a 3 way call.

However, with landline configuration, your phone company controls the line and call forward busy is required from yuor phone company.

My suggestion is to call our support folks to change you to a temporary number(nonlandline config) which will allow you to do 3 way calling with Ooma. Your number port can still happen in the background.
#42077 by kelkin
Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:49 pm
ntoy wrote:Hello,

Yes, our conference calling feature is what murphy had mentioned. It has to be done on the Telo. You make a call on line 1, press line 2(will automatically put line 1 on hold) & you will hear a new dialtone to make the 2nd call. Once you connect, press both line 1 & 2 at the same time and you will be on a 3 way call.

However, with landline configuration, your phone company controls the line and call forward busy is required from yuor phone company.

My suggestion is to call our support folks to change you to a temporary number(nonlandline config) which will allow you to do 3 way calling with Ooma. Your number port can still happen in the background.

Ok, I went ahead and did that, I'm no longer in landline mode. Things seem to be working much better this way, though I have one question: Why is it necessary to have to press the 1 & 2 buttons on the Telo to conference a call? Why don't they just allow you to use the flash button like most telco companies? ie:
Call a number and connect, FLASH, Call 2nd number and connect, FLASH, now both calls are bridged. Flash again drops the last party joined. It seems pretty standard, I'm really surprised at how conference calling is implimented.

Thanks,.
-Keith