Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#41187 by oomacurious
Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:41 pm
I'm considering the purchase of 2 telos b/c I want separate voicemails. I know you can get 2 lines on the same Telo with Premiere service, but I didn't see anything about separate voicemails, so I'm considering the option of 2 separate devices. If bandwidth is enough (not sure what the definition of "enough" would be) can it support 2 simultaneous calls on separate devices? Does anyone know how much speed this would require or if call quality would even be affected? Thanks.
#41193 by murphy
Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:02 pm
If you set up a handset on a Telo as a Personal device with it's own number, it will have it's own voice mail.
#41221 by bw1
Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:42 pm
You can have 2 Telo's connected behind a router but then you lose the conditional QOS provide by the Telo with it in front of the router.

You would then have two separate accounts with separate phone numbers and voicemail.

Two simultaneous calls using the default iLBC codec would use about 80kbps - about the same as two calls using the instant second line with one Telo.
#41290 by oomacurious
Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:00 am
Thank you both for your responses. In this case of using the Telo handset for separate voicemail, does that mean it will also have separate voicemail settings online with features like forwarding messages to a separate email address, or is it all part of the master settings? Ultimately, I would want messages left on the handset's number to be emailed to an entirely separate address (when I miss them) than the one for the Telo base unit. Do you know of any online resources that describe this feature?

Oh, and I wish I had seen bw1's signature with the coupon BEFORE I purchased my Telo!
#41292 by bw1
Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:09 am
Yes, if you setup a personal device and assign a phone number to it, you should then be able to log into my.ooma and setup the features for that number.

The only online documentation for this that I can find is under Phone Number Preferences in my.ooma:

Phone Numbers

Ooma lets you add a second (or more) phone number for your home office or other member of your family. You can choose to have incoming calls ring on all your phones or just on the phones connected to personalized Ooma devices (such as the Ooma Scout).

Once you assign a device for personal use, you will create another account in My Ooma so that voicemail messages can be listened to and managed privately.

If you do not assign devices for personal use, they will all be "shared." Phone numbers assigned to your shared devices will ring and leave voicemail in your primary My Ooma account.