Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#40975 by sean
Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:46 pm
i just installed a new cable modem with Comcast. i can use the new modem with my computer just fine. i can connect the modem to my airport have it work for the whole house; however, if i switch the Ethernet cable to go from the modem to the Ooma Telo base station then everything fails. my Ooma just blinks the giant flower thing red over and over no matter how many times i unplug it and wait and then start it back up. i've tried restarting the modem over and over as well. the Telo just wants to blink red (it starts off by going through various lights in blue and then does the runway blue across the bottom and finally ends up blinking red. it worked just fine with the old modem i just replaced. any ideas?
#40977 by bw1
Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:54 pm
Eliminate as much as possible and connect the Telo directly to the cable modem. Turn off both by unplugging and then plug in the Telo, wait for it to boot up, then plug in the modem.

If that doesn't work, you can try plugging the modem in first and then the Telo.

If that doesn't work, you may need to change settings in the setup page. Start by setting the MAC address to use built in instead of automatic.

You could also try a factory reset.
#40978 by R-T-B
Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:56 pm
This may also be a stretch, but you may need a cross-over cable as opposed to a straight through. I've seen it on some extremely old modems, but I doubt that's the case here.
#40993 by murphy
Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:35 am
Anytime that you change what is connected to a cable modem you MUST power cycle the cable modem to make it forget the MAC address that it memorized from the last device.