Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#40043 by gflu
Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:13 pm
I have a Netgear DSL Router/Firewall. The DSL comes into my house, into the Netgear router, and I have the Telo connected to the Netgear router on the first Ethernet port. When I start up the telo, the blue Ooma logo flashes. It's been doing this for 13 hours now.

I suspect the Netgear DSL router/firewall device is preventing a new Ooma Telo from connecting with the Ooma server because of the default firewall setting on the Netgear router.

There is a firewall setting whereby I can authorize an inbound service (I cannot turn off firewall explicitly it seems). However, when I set up this inbound service rule, it requires an IP address for the inbound service. I think this is the IP of the Ooma server it is requesting? Is there an Ooma server IP that I can add to this list of approved inbound services?

I have no idea what "Send to LAN Server" means in the Netgear interface.

#40048 by murphy
Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:38 pm
The LAN server would be the IP address that the router assigns to the ooma box.
#40059 by gflu
Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:34 pm
so it is saying, allow Any(ALL) inbound traffic to Always go to LAN server address of xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx which is the Ooma Telo.
I assume there is a way for me to assign an IP address to the telo, and then I would use that IP in this Firewall rule. Hmm. Now to go figure out IP assignments in this Netgear thing.
this is so simple....
#40061 by murphy
Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:36 pm
Look for IP address reservations based on MAC address or Static DHCP.
I'm unfamiliar with that router so I don't know what terminology they used.
#40839 by gflu
Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:00 am
OK I have used IP address reservation to make sure the Router always gives the telo the same IP. Then I put that IP into the DMZ so there is no firewall to that IP. I restarted everything. Connected my laptop to the Home Network port on the Telo, can surf the web at 4MB bandwidth. So I know the telo is talking to the router. I know it's getting an IP from the router. But the Telo will not connect with the Ooma server to get service. The blue logo just continues to flash. I talked with Tech Support yesterday, and they confirmed that the install was occurring. They could see it in the log, and they said it could take up to 4 hours to complete the update, but it's been 14 hours now and no sign of any change. I have to believe there is a problem on the Ooma side with the service provisioning. If the thing is connecting to their server, and there is no firewall, what could be the problem?
Ooma tech support has been pretty close to worthless. I think these guys are trying hard, I just don't think they've been given the training and the authority to do much for their customers.
#40908 by jpressly
Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:46 pm
I just posted a similar problem with a flashing blue logo (1-08-2010) and then was browsing through and found this. I, too, have a netgear dsl/router/wireless device. Did you ever get this resolved? I don't think that I am technically astute enough to figure it out by myself. Thank.
#40926 by amoney
Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:08 pm
To reiterate a crucial step, when plugging everything togeher, it is imperative that everything is powered off. Connected (carefull of the ports WAN and LAN) and then bring each device one at a time, begining with the Modem be sure the status lights are online, then proceed to the next device.

The point being these devices should be plug and play and not need any port forwarding.

There are so many variables.

Also try placing the Ooma behind the modem and see if things work that way.

Also in the Ooma there is an option for the Ooma to "spoof" another MAC address, without going into ridiculous detail, this option feature can be a route of some issues, particularly if one has moved the device around. To eliminate any conflict issues, select use internal MAC address. I think this feature should be "off" by default as most devices come.