Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#38763 by Rockhopper
Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:22 pm
I can't seem to get my scout to work. If I connect the wall port of the Hub directly to the Scout, it works fine, blue light comes on almost immediately. However, if I try to run it through my home wiring (i.e. wall port of Hub -> phone jack upstairs -> phone jack downstairs -> wall port of Scout), my Scout just gets stuck with four, solid red lights. I have no phone service coming in from the outside (disconnected phone service myself, cable internet). I know the phone jacks are working, because if I connect the phone port of the Hub to the wall all of the other phone jacks become active. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?
#38767 by coreuser765
Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:48 pm
I had the same exact issue (and found the same exact solution).

What I will be doing is putting the splitter on the hub and connecting the wall line into one part of the splitter; you'll then need to have a wire running from your scout to the other port in the splitter.

This is the only solution I have come up with. Hope it helps. If you find anything out let me know! :)
#38772 by Rockhopper
Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:09 pm
coreuser765 wrote:I had the same exact issue (and found the same exact solution).

What I will be doing is putting the splitter on the hub and connecting the wall line into one part of the splitter; you'll then need to have a wire running from your scout to the other port in the splitter.

This is the only solution I have come up with. Hope it helps. If you find anything out let me know! :)

OK, I figured it out. Prior to having cable internet, I had DSL. The way my house is set up, all phone lines terminate at a central point outside the house. There is a terminal strip into which all are connected and the phone jack I was plugging the Ooma Hub into was the phone jack that previously carried the DSL. Although the DSL had been disconnected and the outside phone line (from the street to the house) had been disconnected, that particulary phone jack was terminating into an outlet on the terminal strip labelled "Data". I took the phone line out of the "data" outlet and put in in a regular phone line connection. Came back inside and had a blue light on my Scout.

So that fixed my problem. There must have been an internal DSL filter on the terminal strip that I didn't know about. So if you're having the same problem, check your connections outside. Hope this helps.